Makita trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by motodude, May 10, 2002.

1. motodude

motodude LawnSite Member
    from OK

Just bought a Makita trimmer today, 256 to be exact, and man it feels good, light as a feather, handles great. Anyone had any experience with Makita? Personally I had never seen or heard of this trimmer before today, just stumbled upon it. Their power tools are good what about their trimmers?:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

2. muxx

muxx LawnSite Member

I have one and it is a good weed eater. The only problem I had, was the dealer quit selling them.

3. keifer

keifer LawnSite Senior Member

Several years back lowes sold them. Never bought one but they did look nice.

4. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

I started with Makita trimmers and thought they were great, mainly because they were so light, and they worked great. They are not as commercial grade as the real commercial trimmers, but for the price they were fine. They didn't last as long as the Echos that I have moved onto. The only reason I didn't continue using them was because everybody stopped selling them, so I had to move onto a different brand. Since they were $100.00 + cheaper than the Echo, et al, I didn't really mind that they would die quicker. Also I liked the handles they had much better so I switched them to my Echos, and this makes it a lot easier on my Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Good luck with the new purchase.

5. yardmonkey

yardmonkey LawnSite Senior Member

Have not yet seen or tried the Makitas.
    Last week I ran into a friend of mine who is the KING of landscapers around here and he happened to mention that he had found a really good weedeater - Makita.
    I have been using the Robin 4-cycle which I totally love - very quiet, lightweight (11.5lbs), low vibration. After a year of use I trashed it by forgetting to check the oil - it may be fixable. In the meantime I did some research and found a Makita dealer in OKC. Makita makes a 4-cycle but I think it is over $400. (The Robin was $350). I was considering getting a 2-cycle Makita due to the lightweight. I think the one the dealer recommended was the RBC256 - straight shaft, 9lbs, $256. I wound up getting a Honda 4-cycle. UMK422LTA 14lbs, 22cc, $330 (onsale for $309). This is a good machine - even quieter that the Robin. But it is a couple of pounds heavier and it seems to vibrate a bit more, also less power. And it has a terrible head - like the Shindaiwas - you have to press in a tab to undo it, and line up three tabs into three slots to put it back on. The Robin has the best head I have seen (I will put that on the Honda) - you just twist it off, and twist it back on. Also the throttle switch on the Honda seems to stick sometimes.

I have lots of trouble with my arms and hands from using weedeaters, so I am very interested in lighter weight and less vibration. More info on dealing with arms and hands here:
    http://www.ionet.net/~tslade/hands.htm

I hope to get the Robin fixed and maybe get another one. I look forward to more and better 4-cycle machines. Someday they will have commercial quality electric trimmers. Probaby with backpack batteries. Someday (if we haven't destoryed the Earth by then) all these little gas engines willl be illegal and obsolete.

Any comments on how much vibration the Makitas seem to have?
    I may still try one out.

6. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The Makitas, Robins, and Dolmars are all the same unit.
    Made by Robin........
    May be different models from year to year but they are all made by Robin.

Later
    Pj

7. Oliver1850

Oliver1850 LawnSite Member

The Makita brand in general is an excellent product, but as far as outdoor equipment goes, dealer support is next to nil. I purchased both a chainsaw and trimmer (Lowes) and got burned when I needed to order replacement parts. Lowes carries the tools but cannot order outdoor parts. The only way to purchase is a Makita center halfway across the country.

Next time I will purchase a more popular product with better dealer support.

8. musselman

musselman LawnSite Senior Member
    from utah

I have 3 Makitas love them very light and powerful. But as stated above hard to get parts for and will not last as long as a Echo. But the light weight sold me and ill never go to a heavy trimmer agian, it may not be a Makita but it has to be light and powerful.