makita trimmer

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mission007, Dec 5, 2004.

1. mission007

mission007 LawnSite Member

has anyone had any time use a makita trimmer I found one on the net for $215 tax & all no ship cost reg. cost $299 solid state shaft centrifical force head & fulltilt carb hope it will be a good one run a stihl fs80 now

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I'm sure they are good trimmers but you may want to find someone locally that will service and get parts for warranty it if you have trouble with it.

3. Joe B J

Joe B J LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Travis, I noticed the stihl 4 mix tag. What kind of service and performance are you getting. I came real close to trying one. I had been using fs 85's (six of them) but Stihl discontinued them. The dealer almost had me talked into trying one of the 4 cycles. I will have to replace 4 soon, I may just go with the 4 cycle.

4. davis

davis LawnSite Member

i have a stihl 4 mix and it is going back to the shop . i told the dealer he can keep it. i might try the kawi 27a or echo 260t

5. Joe B J

Joe B J LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Davis, what was your experience with it? Didn't run right, power? Do they use engine oil as well as fuel/oil?

6. davis

davis LawnSite Member

the 4 mix has lots of torq. 1.but it has no good low speed 2.gas tank is to small. 3.it has to have a valve adjustment 4. it eats the trimmer line 5. some time mine is hard to start and its going back to the shop . i cant get it started.. :realmad:

7. davis

davis LawnSite Member

4 mix is oil and gas mix

8. mission007

mission007 LawnSite Member

the stihl fs 80 I have is almost 2years old & it is 2 cycle. I just had to clean the carb the other day & that the only thing I've done to it. husqvarna is coming out with a 4 cycle this year not sure of the cost yet both you sould be able to get one at lowes plus you can get a extended warranty of 1 year for around $50 or 3 years for $75 at a $299 buy they have a chart you can go by for a total of 3 or 4 years but are diffrent for commerical to so shop & return wisely

9. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

We love our 4 mix. We bought it about 4 months ago and its been used hard that 4 months. Its the most powerful trimmer i've ever used and IMO it the best there is. We also have a 2500 shindawia 4 cycle and there is no comparison between the two. The Stihl has a lot more power. We also got the Shindawia this year and we paid $350 each. They both run on a 50:1 mix. If you get a 4 mix you wont be dissapointed.

10. allseasonturf

allseasonturf LawnSite Member
    from ohio

I worked for Makita from 1996 to 1999 as lead bench tech and found the Makita trimmers to be very well built and easy to repair and find parts for. Also they are lighter and the trimmer heads run @ a higher RPM to engine ratio than most other trimmers on the market. Not too many LCO's in the bizz run them simply because they aren't as widely known as the other brands but they are a supperb machine.