Mall Bid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mh1314, Sep 9, 2003.

1. mh1314

mh1314 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Got a pencil and paper handy? I need some help. We have a local mall that currently has a LCO doing full service, ie: Mowing, Edging, Flowers, Beds, Shrubs, CleanUp and herbicide. The current LCO in investing 32 man hours a week on the contract. Due to a change in ownership of the mall, I've been contacted about bidding on the mowing and cleaning up any discharge from the mowing. The mall will then take over the remainder of the duties to allow them to keep a maintenance person on staff.

The mall is typical in that it has green belt all the way around it (ZTR), with some islands, which will require a 21" or 36".

My question is how many of the 32 current logged hours do you think it will take to do the mowing?

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

how many acres? lots of trees? islands? how much trimming? we need a lot more info to properly guess at this :)

what kind of equipment do you have?

3. mh1314

mh1314 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

There aren't very many trees to mow around. Most of it is open area. There are only about four islands, which will require fifteen minutes each. As far as the acres I would guess around 5-7. Haven't really measured them as this thing just came up.

I currently have a 42" ZTR and 21's. I may go up to a 54 on the ZTR.

The property does have a major amount of curb lines, beds, shrubs, and flowers, which of course I won't have to be bothered with.

I realize that there are many variables, too many to hash out, but wanted some idea from you about what percentage of your similar commercials are dedicated to mowing.

4. BSDeality

based on your guesstimate on the acreage, i'd charge about $350-400 assuming i wasn't doing an assinine amount of trimming.

5. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

$ 400.00 - $450.00 a week nothing less..

6. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

I would stay in the $600 range to be safe from what I read. That would be about 20hr at $30hr per week. Don't take me to heart but to me $400 dollrs sounds low. Please correct me if you think I am wrong. By the way what area is this mall in so I can get a better idea. You don't have to if you are worried or something.

7. BSDeality

read his post again, he said all he's doing is mowing and minimal trimming, the rest is going to be done by the soon-to-be-employed maintenance guy.

its mowing 5-7 acres with 4 islands.

8. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

I would be could more worried about them having the maintenance man trying to take over everything after a year or two if he is going to be doing the trimming, edging, and grounds maintenance all ready why not let him cut to. Get a contract for at least a year or two if you are going to invest in a bigger ZTR for the job.

9. mh1314

mh1314 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

TRex the mall is five hours from you. To clarify everything, I'm just being asked to complete the mowing. If there is some blowout over the curbs they asked that it be blown back into the grass. They are taking over the trimming etc. to save one of their maintenance people from being laid off. The mall wants no part of the mowing business. I really wasn't wanting to get price from everyone, but just any idea of what % of the job ya'll think the mowing would intail as compared to the full service LCO which has it now. Say 50%, 40% ?