Mamba blades vs gator magnums?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jt5019, Sep 11, 2006.

1. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

Im looking to get some new blades for the leaf season... in the past i have always used Gator Magnums. I just saw in J-thomas they dont have Gators but they have the Mamba mulching blades.

Any opinion which blades preform better?

It says the Mamba blades are 20% wider, 20% more mulching surface etc does that mean they will use up more power?

I did a search but didnt find too much on them

2. jarroo's lawncare

jarroo's lawncare LawnSite Member

i afriend that helps me and has an older 36'' exmark w/b and he got some mamba blades for it. he has said good things about them and seems to like them. i have a set of knockoff gator mulchers on the 48'' viking and they don't seem to work as good as the mambas.

3. JohnElpers

JohnElpers Sponsor
    Male, from Novi, MI

I know this is a little late to discuss Mamba Mulching blades. I am sorry we have not chimed in about this before.

Here are my Mamba Mulching Blade insights:

· The Mamba Mulching blade is ¼ in thick?

· How about a mulching Lawnmower blade that has 1 3/8 lift?

· While you are at it, would you want one of the thickest mulching high lift blade you can buy?

· Mamba Mulching Blades are designed to give you a longer lasting grinding/cutting surface.

· Mamba Blades have been said to cut the same, if not better than the Mulching Gator Blades.

I highly recommend giving them a shot! For the price, cutting surface, lift, and long lasting cutting edge; Why not?

Keep in mind; Not all blades are 3 inch wide because not all machines will rung a 3 inch wide blade. Make sure to measure before you every buy blades!

Here is a review by a YouTube Reviewer:

4. southerntide

southerntide LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Alabama

G6's work awesome you can get them off Ebay really really cheap man.

seen a few post on the Mamba's very negative feedback on here browsing through threads

5. JohnElpers

JohnElpers Sponsor
    Male, from Novi, MI

I am a Web Merchandiser from JThomas Parts, the sole provider of Mamba Mulching Blades. I too have done my research online and with product testing we found Mamba out performs based upon setup / Machine / environment. Just like the Oregon Gator blades perform. If I was going to buy a blade it would be either blade, they both are great. I have tried them both and I like the 40% higher lift. 25% thicker blade coming from Mamba Mulching Blades and on my Gravely ZT HD 60; they out-perform the Gator blades. I cut 4.5 inch THICK, and I mean THICK grass.

Reasons Mulching Blades are disliked:

* Not enough HP.
    * Not using them correctly.
    * Never sharpened or at the right times.
    * Abuse not Use.
    * Improper installment / wrong blades.
    * Wet Grass combined with HP.
    * Grass that is way too tall for mulching blades.
    * Excessive speeds when low powered.

#Souterntide: There are always going to be negative people writing negative thins about products and there is always going to be speculations about what is better. To summarize; until you try them and see the results for yourself how to do you know?

After writing this i dug into our inventory to find out we currently we do not carry Mamba Mulching Blades for the John Deere 920M. If you want I can let you know when they come in that way you can try them for yourself.

If you would like to know more you can visit our website. www.jthomasparts.com

Thanks for the reply! :)

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  6. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

don't use the mambas or the gators. the G6 are much better.

7. JohnElpers

JohnElpers Sponsor
    Male, from Novi, MI

Hey weez, always a blast! ;) G6 blades are good too.

8. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

You know who the guy in the video link is don't you? Listen to his voice. It's the guy with the Cheetah you linked to in your Cheetah thread....something2lookat.