1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Man am I in trouble!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bunton Guy, May 5, 2005.

1. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

It is a rainy day today...so I went out to test drive a 72" dixie chopper with the 3 cylinder yanmar turbo diesel WOW!! I think he said it was 50HP...nice!

HE put me out on a field which had grass up to your knees and that puppy was askin for more!

Anybody want to loan me a few accounts with 50+ acres to mow?

My first impression is it sounds sweeeet, not only does it sound sweet but it leaves a nice cut. This thing is a giant but it drives as smoooothe as silk. The hydros are VERY VERY touchy which got me bucking back and forth a few times (kinda like someone new to skid steer driving) it really made me look like an idiot a few times. Im not new to Z riders I just havent felt one as silky smoothe as this one. The price tag was steep at first until he told me it was a demo and he would knock off a few grand. MSRP $15,500....demo price $13,000 payup :help:

I wasent quite sure of production on this unit per hour? But I do know that it runs at 15mph (he said it will cut at that speed) but when I tested the cut at 15 mph not only did I need a donor for kidneys but it left some grass behind.
  2. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

The problem is that it is probably too heavy for many residential yards. Also 72 inchers do great on level ground and not so great on uneven ground. I know you have lots of uneven ground in Charlotte. 72" would also leave more trimming to do.
    Bigger is not always better in this case
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

...and your fuel consumption will be that above what is necessary...WAY above. If you do alot of 3 ft. high properties, I guess it would be ok. Frankly, I think it is overkill for most applications.
  4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

And with a turbo on smaller yards you need a 3-5 minute idle down for the turbo to cool, alot of wasted idle time.A 72'' is harder to use in residential, but if you had an account that was some acreage it would be the way to go
  5. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

I never intend to use a mower like this on residentials. The thing I didn't like was how touchy the hydros are and the fact that it was a REALLY bumpy ride on that air ride seat (or suspension seat)