Man, did I feel like an idiot!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnTamer, Apr 28, 2006.

1. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Was at my first job this morning, I had already trimmed, & edged and was done mowing everything but the front park strip, so I'm just cruising along behind my 36" toro with the high-lift blades on. There is a newspaper in a plastic bag on the sidewalk about 10" from the edge of the lawn, the edge of my mower is a good 8-10" from the paper as I roll by I suddenly see the paper being sucked in by my high-lifts, I veer but its too late, newspaper shreds go flying everywhere, seriously like 20-30 feet in every direction.
    It took me 20 minutes to clean up the mess, then I had to go to the door and apologize and offer to buy them a new paper.
    "Oh that's not even ours, its been there for weeks." GRRRR
    A terrible start to an otherwise productive day.

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Don't feel bad, I felt like an idiot too today.

I'm sure I looked real 'savy' using my blower tank as a gas can.
    I had to use it's fuel to fill my trimmer because my 2 cycle can was lost/forgotten/stolen somewhere.

3. METRO 36

METRO 36 LawnSite Senior Member

forgot my 21in this morning and i cut 500 square feet with my trimmer cuz my 36 wouldnt fit threw the gate. i dont use the 21 much and i didnt think i needed it but guess what i did.lol

last job of the day i had abought 20 feet of trimming left and i ran out of string, oh yeah i forgot string this morning to.

i bet i looked real professional trimming 20 feet of grass with my edger turned sideways, but it actually pretty good, just one of those days.lol

4. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

I ran over the sunday paper the other day. Didnt see it coming around the corner and it went everywhere.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

The bit with the newspaper I can relate to, I've chewed up a few over the years and the resulting mess frustrates me lol

Not so funny are extension cords and metal clothes hangers.

Now this to me is normal, I don't carry fuel cans onboard so having to use one piece to refuel another is standard procedure so I carry a syphon kit. A few onlookers might laugh except I suspect the speed of the actual transfer leaves most vocal chords paralized as it takes me no longer than folks who have fuel cans onboard.

This one hasn't happened in a long time, but I HATE catching the mower's blades on the upper edge of the grate of the trailer gate while unloading.

Wait until you learn how to use your weed-eater as a blower because you left your blower at the house.

6. Absolute Weed C

Absolute Weed C LawnSite Member

Try coming around a corner, seeing a door mat, swerving to miss it only to have it sucked up into the blower moter of a Walker...... Thats totally a red faced day.. Worse yet having to explain to the owner where there door mat is while trying to cut it free from the shoot... Even bigger red face day

7. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

I reckon its worse on the way up at speed!:cry: You know somethings wrong when theres a sudden stop!

Today, was mowing neighbours house (obviously last job for the week) and hit this bit (about the size of a foot) of concrete! Caught it out of the side of eye just before..... the grind! Even slowed the revs down on 28efi!
    NOT HAPPY!
    The idiot trimmed his place last week or so and must of kicked the concrete dag out onto the lawn! Im sure they heard me CURSE!

Spindles are ok but blades FARKED!

8. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Um.... I put diesel in my hydro tank today.

Too busy thinking about how I'm going to schedule all these odd jobs people want done this spring, not paying attention to the job at hand.

9. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

I had an employee once who would never pick up trash. I use to get on him about it all the time. Even threw him a nerf football once and told him to take it home and practice. told him to practice dropping it and bending over picking it back up. Anyway 1 day he ran over a wallet, shredded money went everywhere. We peiced the money together, it was a little over 200.00. I asked him why he did'nt pick it up, did you not see it? He said he saw it but did'nt think there was anything in it. That was his last day.

10. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

Was mowing last week and the same deal, except it was a tarp. I was a good 8-10" away from it, didn't think twice that it might get sucked in. Sure enough, it disappears under the deck of the 44". Half of it was shredded and half of it was wrapped nicely around the blades. Glad no one saw me do it! Cost me 15 minutes of cleanup and bought the customer a new tarp. She thought it was funny! I didn't.....