Man do i have it made!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turfcutters Plus, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Turfcutters Plus

Turfcutters Plus LawnSite Senior Member

I'm a solo operator who mulches leaves weekly til they are gone.All smaller properties.Then a final clean-up if needed in the end.All debris is left at properties.I haul nothing!!!!In other words,i'm always caught up.Oh yea!I've got it made.Excuse me i'm off to play my drums and guitar!:cool2:

2. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

ok.....:confused: have fun Ringo:laugh:

3. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

do you charge extra to constantly mulch the leaves? if not, youre leaving leaf cleanup money on the table.

4. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

I mulch em up too. I hate leaf cleanups don't care how much money is left on the table. Time to play.

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I do the same thing.

You can get by with this for your existing customer base.
    But I don't think it is realistic for those offering "leaf services"

6. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree..I mulch what I can and charge extra to clean out beds and haul away ...I pretty much try to take care of my regular customers and make extra $$$ on the ones who only call for leaf clean ups....and even then I mulch them if at all possible

7. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

You would have mulch 6 inches deep in this area if you tried doing that. We will for a while and then it's time to suck them up. Lots of hard wood here.

8. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

LOL..thank god for urban sprawl in this area ...trees but no real heavy woods to deal with . I only have one property that gets heavy leaves ....and I am lucky to get to suck them up and dump in the woods.

9. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Question? I was just wondering, mulching leaves would make the soil more acidic. Then you will eventually need lime to balance the PH. I am not educated much in this area but this is what comes to mind.

I do the same thing, I usually side discharge in wooded lots going counter clockwise and blowing them into the forest. A portion of them are mulched pretty good though. I live in the middle of a wooded lot and have tons of leaves and so do a few customers of mine. I'm sure most of you couldn't get by with this method but I live out in the country. Any way after a couple of years of this you notice the growth of moss which is a sign of acidic soil if I understand correctly (no expert here). Your thoughts? Remember I'm speaking from a novices point of view on this.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

No, you are correct, it is not good for the turf to always mulch leaves, thou a light cover doesn't affect ph much, by light I mean there are a few leaves and you can still see plenty of grass in between.

Then, it gets to a point the stuff is several inches deep... You can't just mulch all that, for one it makes a big mess and dust gets into everything, but now the effect on the ph will hurt or kill the lawn over time.

As for me, I like my 10hp push blower, fixing to change the oil in it tomorrow.
    I still get it all the time:
    Customer: Are you sure you're going to be ok with the leaf cleanup?
    Me: Oh yeah, no problem, 2-4 hours max.
    Customer: You want to use my machine?
    Me: No thanks, I have a pushblower.
    Customer: Seriously, you're more than welcome to!
    Me: nah it'll be alrite (while I'm thinking I can't wait, they're thinking I'm either done or crazy lol).
    Then the big day arrives.
    As predicted, 2-4 hours later I am done.
    Customer: Wow that machine gets the job DONE don't it?
    Me: heheh, yeah...