1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Man hour cost

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnworker, Aug 10, 2006.

1. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

I have come to the conclusion that actual mowing hours are almost half of travel time and lunch ext. in a typical mowing day. If only all the residential were side by side, That would be unbelievably great. This is one reason why my earnigs are down.

Also, does any one track and factor all the non billable hours into the standard hoped for man hour charge as a percentage of cost of each individual man hour on the job.

Additionally, is it time to break the dollar a minute ceiling?
  2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

you can't put a standard percentage on travel time vs mow time for everyones business there are too many variables. a tight route is the only way to make money in this business.

Tomorrow we finish up the week with 8 lawns, 7 are in one neighborhood. the other one is about 1.5 miles down the road. $/min? we do better than that 95% of the time.
  3. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting LawnSite Senior Member

Does that include your drive time or is that $min cut time, it seams that i can average $min per cut.
  4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

thats gate down to gate up. When I quote lawns I add in 5 minutes of drive time typically. Just a few of my very first accounts are the $/min or slightly less.

For example, picked up a new account recently. Just mowed it for the second time today, $42/wk. gate down to gate up was 13 minutes with me on the Z and my GF trimming. I wish they were all like that.
  5. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah i here ya i have a few like that, then there are a few that if i don't stay on top of them they can get away.
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Over the years, I have tracked our billable man hours to be between 5.5 and 5.75 out of 8 per day.
  7. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I started keeping track 2 seasons ago. I figured "billable man hours" were only somewhere around 5.5 to maybe 6.5 per day. In the past 3 years we have kept and built around some lawns and finally this season our longest travel time between stops is well under 10 minutes, we have a very tight route with several homes right next to or just a few houses down the road. I know a guy who for the past 3 years has a stop at least 25min. away from his main route, and I have a few closer to him. I have tried to trade accounts with him but he still insists on doing it. Whatever!
  8. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

yeah close routes are the way to go.

On the percentage thing, this is what I meant

If you took the whole year added all billable hours up, then added all non billable: blade sharpening scraping decks, billing, estimating- whatever, you could then percentage that out of what you receive from customers.

If they pay you 60 per man hour, but 25% of all your whole seasonal hours were non billable, so you would allocate 15 dollars to cover non billable time
    In reality the customer is paying for all the hidden work.

Does any one do this?
  9. mslawn

mslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from LA

Sound close to my operations figures.
  10. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

That's about what we do, about 4 to 5 man hours of drive time per 2 man crew.