1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Man hours to install rock mulch

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by WenzelOSLLC, Jul 26, 2011.

1. WenzelOSLLC

WenzelOSLLC LawnSite Senior Member

I tried searching for this but apparently my keywords aren't right because I'm sure this has been asked and answered.

I have a customer who wants a bed put in that would have 2" Pink Quartz as a mulch. It's several tons of rock and I've never installed a bed with this much rock.

I was wondering how long it would take to move one ton of rock by wheelbarrow to where I need it. Its only about one hundred feet from where I would dump it to where it needs to be. I would just pull the truck and trailer up to it and dump but that's not an option.

I know how long it takes me to move wood mulch but I'm not sure if moving the rock will take quite a bit longer (hours) or just a little bit (hour or less).

2. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

20% / 25% longer labor

3. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

I would say much longer than that as it sounds s if you will be doing it solo. Figure you can fill a wheel barrow with much and esily push that around. Now fill that wheel barrow with rock and it will weight a **** load more as cubic foot of rock weighs more than a cubic foot of mulch. So compared to mulch you'll probalby end up making 2x as many trips from the truck to plantings as you would with the same yards of mulch. Then you'll be making more trips over he 100' so you'll end up getting tired quicker and start slowing down

4. DIXIECONTRACTING

DIXIECONTRACTING LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I would use my Toro Dingo to move the stone and spread by hand will take longer than mulch so charge accordingly.

5. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

I usually figure at least 1.5 hrs. / yard to spread. Prepwork is not included in that.

6. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

Id guess almost double the time. If you do not have a wheelbarrow with two front tires, do yourself a massive favor and get one before this job. It will cut your time and effort greatly.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Fordsuvparts

Fordsuvparts LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, we use our Tx425 on just about any mulching or pea gravel job, they replace 2-3 guys on a big job. You can rent one for a fairly reasonable rate at most rental places, they are worth there weight in gold.

8. M & MD Lawn

M & MD Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I usually rent, around here the dingo u can rent for about 190.00 a day, get it on a friday and sunday is free. Or i have rented a skid steer too, that was more for the fun though lol. I would definetly say rent something, dont kill urself voer a job.

9. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

It can take me anywhere from 1 hour to 3 hours to unload 3.5 tons of rock out of my truck, into a wheelbarrow, and to where it needs to be.

I never use my mini skid on rock installs as I don't want to tear my fabric or rut up the grade in any way.

10. WenzelOSLLC

WenzelOSLLC LawnSite Senior Member

JD, I purchased a dual wheelbarrow a long time ago because it makes life so much easier. I had planned to have a helper do some wheelbarrow work so I can go pick up more loads of rock.

I Was also thinking about renting a Dingo, I'm a big fan of it. Makes quick work of most projects.

Was just curious as to what people thought. I think I'll go with the Dingo. Thanks.