1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

man hours

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bettergrass, Jun 10, 2004.

1. bettergrass

bettergrass LawnSite Member

This sounds stupid but what is a man hour? and how do you tell how many many hours a job takes? I did a search on this and couldnt find anything
  2. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

If you work for 4 hrs by yourself, thats 4 man hours. If you have 3 employees, plus yourself, working for 4 hours, thats 16 man hours. And no, it doesnt matter if it is women or men working for you.
  3. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Actually it's a male chauvinist saying that has stuck with many businesses for generations and should be addressed so that women can be recognized for who they are as well as the men of the world.
  4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

So it would be person hours,correct?
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Yes. Man hours is a term that was coined almost 100 years ago way b4 women were in the workplace. Actually, it came out of the automotive industry from the assembly line...
  6. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

How about Human hours?
  7. j_loppy

j_loppy LawnSite Member

College boy here must rant....MAN is NOT gender specific. Mailman, salesman, etc. In any proper writing we must use this. People have gotten so bent out of shape about this it makes me sick. Girls-get over it! It's proper grammar- no harm, no foul!
  8. gr8cutter

gr8cutter LawnSite Member

Well said j loppy. Nobody calls the women on our police department police women.
  9. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

Uh what do you mean? "Man is not gender specific".... How is that so... Policeman, salesman, mailman... Everybody is just used to saying it. Yes it is incorrect. And women should be bent out of shape. If you go up to a lady and call her a man, what is she going to think. "am I that ugly"... Policeofficer would be correct english. Its not masculane nor feminen, neutral would be the word. Politically correct. I dunno who's makin a big fuss, being politically correct is simple correct english.

TROTTMAN LawnSite Senior Member

Good work j_loppy! I think people in general get caught up in all this equal rights stuff that we forget that "man" has refered to both sexes for centuries!