Man, I freakin' hate.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimLewis, Dec 7, 2004.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

.....Having to lay people off.

It's just getting slow right now. Had to lay another guy off today - just a few weeks before Christmas. I hate having to do that. It was sad. I told him we'll be hiring him back in January or February, as soon as business picks back up. But he was bummed. This guy has a family and kids and works hard out in the rain every day for me every day. Did good work, was responsible, etc.

I didn't have a choice. And I know he'll be able to get paid from the unemployment dept. But I just hate having to do it. It just sucks!

Firing people isn't nearly as hard. When they deserve it, it's not that difficult. It's when they don't deserve it, but you have to let them go anyway, that it hurts.

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Good help is hard to find,why could you not keep him yearly, what will happen is you will lose a good man.I have been in the same boat as you i know about pulling salaries and no income comeing in.

3. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah... that must suck. Maybe you can find some other way to handle the situation if this guy is that important to you. Good help is hard to find. I'd hate to see you lose this guy if he is that good of an employee. Some companies allow their employees to "buy time" throughout the year to use later on. Maybe this could be an option?

4. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I've often wondered if it would be worth it to carry an A-number-one employee for up to a month just to retain him? I dont mean let him sit on his rear, but at the very least do some equipment maintainence etc.

5. Dig-it Landscaping

Dig-it Landscaping LawnSite Member

i try to talk to other people that i know that need misc work done and i put in a great word for him. it has worked really well so far. my dad has him help him sometimes like, insulating the barn and doing some small jobs on the farm while dad is at work. hopefully this helps

6. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

It wasn't my only employee. Out of the 5 guys who are currently staying for the winter, one had to go. This one was the least desirable of the 5. But a good employee, nonetheless. We couldn't afford to keep him, unfortunately.

I am confident that he will return and come work for us next year. He likes working here and he came back last year. But still, it sucks. I was hoping not to have to do this.

7. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

If he is interested, next year with hold about 3 hours per week. Then in December when it slows down he has that time saved up, and you can pay him.

8. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya .... I hear ya Jim .... every winter fore us it's the same thing ... the full time base grows when we can afford to make summer help 'Full Time" .... fore me I run with 6 all Summer n only 4 from Nov to March ....

This year is kinda different as one of the regular guys is going into the Air Force 1st of the year ... I had a replacement lined up with the understanding that "your more than likely be out of work for 1-2 months ... he busted ass so good in Oct I decided to carry the extra payroll .... everyone just got little less hours

Last year n one before that was 3 full time .... this year 4 n hope by next year it will be 5

9. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

Jim I'm sure it does suck, big time. But it sure seems that you're the type of guy that treats his employees very well and I'm sure he enjoys working for you. As bummed as he is, he probably understands where you're coming from and why you have to do it. Plus I'm sure you were completely up front with him and assured him he'll be asked back as soon as it picks up. One of the unfortunate things about business that you have to deal with. Luckily I'm still a solo guy and haven't had to face that yet.

Anyway, hang in there Jim, it'll all work out.

Buck

10. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

Thats not a bad to what i had to do today. Ex worker stole hedge trimmer and pawned it. I reported it too the police. He's setting in jail as of 3:00 today