Man killed on his ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Blessed 1, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Blessed 1

Blessed 1 LawnSite Senior Member

Yesterday a man here was struck and killed on his mower. The car ran off the road and hit him on the shoulder. There is a video as well as the story at
  2. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

did you see the car in the video? how on earth is a piece of garbage like that even on the road and passing inspection?
  3. 42homers

42homers LawnSite Member

Not the way I wanna go!

I do think about this though when I'm mowing close to the bypass I do a lot of work on. I guess it's a real possibility.
  4. all degree

all degree LawnSite Senior Member

Happened to a classmate of mine in 1989. He was mowing a lawn with a walkbehind and got hit by a drunk driver. He was only 18...
  5. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

It's Georgia. Think about it. No disrespect intended, but there probably are no inspections in that area and if that's all you can afford to drive, then you live with what you have. Many parts of Indiana are like that as well although not in my town. Indiana doesn't have vehicle inspection requirements, at least not in this region.
  6. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

GA. does not have vehicle inspections for residential motor vehicles. That is an awful tragedy to say the least.

7. airtractrdrivr

airtractrdrivr LawnSite Member

Oklahoma did away with vehicle inspections a couple years ago. There are lots of POS vehicles on the road that shouldnt be, but there were before, also. Like was said above, when it's all you can afford, and you have to get back and forth, you make do with what you have. I know there's alot of deadbeats out there, but there's also a lot of single mothers working two jobs to support their kids that drive cars like that, because it's all they have between them and starvation. I'll wait till I hear about the driver and the circumstances before I pass judgement. A real tradgedy, though.
  8. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

I always worry about that. Im mean all it takes is for some idiot to be playing with there radio or fall asleep and 2 secs go buy and your dead or paralized and wake up in the hospital never to walk again. A 16 year old girl here was on the highway and reached down for a cd and ran into a family in a van. Some how in the accident the families infant was decapitated. Thats really sad, and both families will have to live with that their whole life.
  9. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I am constantly harping on my guys to stay off the roads as much as possible. Sometimes I think I am talking to a brick wall.
  10. Steve9

Steve9 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

No inspections? Holy S&^t! Here in Texas a car over 2 years old has trouble passing with the emissions testing and all. Hardly ever see pieces of junk on the road.