1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Man Killed While Loading Salt

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by eskals, Dec 14, 2000.

1. eskals

eskals LawnSite Member

I just saw this on the news:

A 41 year old man was operating a bobcat with one of those salters on the front in a large parking lot in Bloomfield, Michigan. He went to reload the salt, pulled up to the truck and climed out onto the spreader. As he did so, his foot caught one of the hand controls and raised the boom. Appaerntly, this caused him to fall between the boom and the truck. He was crushed to death. The police are calling it a truely freak accident.

Be careful out there.

2. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

Sad to hear that. He must have had an older machine or had the safety switches disabled though..
  3. eskals

eskals LawnSite Member

I found a bit more info.

Copied from clickondetroit.com

"Bloomfield Hills police said that Guillermo Jimenez, 41, was driving a Bobcat loader around 6:15 a.m. in the parking lot of the store located on Maple and Orchard Lake roads. Jimenez was apparently loading salt from the spreader of the Bobcat onto a truck, when he left the Bobcat running. He reportedly started to climb out, when his foot hit the floor control pedal, raising the arms of the bobcat. Jimenez became pinned between the cross members of the arms and the roof of the Bobcat, according to police."

4. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

He must have been pretty tall!!
  5. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

They shoulda sprung for that spanish version of the safety video for Bobcats.
  6. HandyHaver

HandyHaver LawnSite Member

Thanks John, Needed a good laugh after the wash-out here last night!!
  7. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

Thats one mile from my house. i drive by there almost everyday. Hey im a local what can i say!
    Just joking. Sorry to hear that.