Man Offers Free Lawn Mowing to Lose Weight

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by twj721, Jul 9, 2006.

1. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

/7/06-COON RAPIDS, Minn.
    Man Offers Free Lawn Mowing to Lose Weight

A local man who has struggled to lose weight is hoping a lawn mower will help him shed between 30 and 50 pounds.

After working up quite a sweat mowing his own lawn this summer, Darrell Nelson thought that he could get a good workout by mowing lawns for other people as well.

So, on the Web site Craig's List, he placed an ad offering to mow lawns for free.

He figures if he eats better and mows a lawn per day nearly every day of the week, he will be able to keep an exercise program going. He said he has a hard time keeping commitments to himself, but he will stick to commitments he makes to others.

"This is no joke or gimmick," he wrote on the Web site. "I need to lose weight. I have struggled on sticking to exercise programs, including just walking, for quite a while now."

Nelson is a former power lifter who's about 5-foot-9 and 258 pounds. Since news of his ad spread, he has fielded calls from the media, strangers even some women who have asked him out on dates.

"My life has been turned upside down, man, unbelievable," he said. "I was planning on doing five lawns: Mine plus four others. Now, I'm doing six lawns: Mine plus five others. ... I was just trying to do some yards and lose some weight, and it just voila away it went."
  2. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

This is what I do except I charge for it lol. Loose weight and make money at the same time!

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I didn't do the work free when I started our business but I wanted to stay in shape so instead of running I cut grass. I thought it was kinda nice to be paid for getting exercise. Never used a rider until I got to 60.
  4. Quail Creek LC

Quail Creek LC LawnSite Member
    from IOWA

I mow for the excercise as well and too get paid. The bad part is, I never seem to loose any weight doing so. If I do loose some, I gain it back in the winter. Guess I should watch what I eat:hammerhead:
  5. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

Ah, he used to be a power lifter:weightlifter: , but looks like the "dumbells" he was lifting were just above of his neck.:dizzy:
  6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

He want to stay healthy and live longer, so YOUR medical insurence won't go up and he won't be disabled so YOUR taxes won't be supporting him. The people he's mowing for would never pay to have there lawn cut so he's not stealing work.
    He sounds like a pretty smart guy with a plan and I wish him al the luck in the world
  7. weedwoop

weedwoop LawnSite Member

I've always thought it strange that some folks pay me good money to mow their lawn while they go out running or bikeing for excercise.
  8. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

I wonder what he'll do when he reaches his target weight? :rolleyes:

"Nelson said he doesn't even enjoy mowing the lawn. But he hopes to enjoy the fruits of his labor, all the while clipping blades of grass and clipping inches from his waistline.

His generosity does have limits, though: "I won't bag and I won't do any trimming."
  9. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

Exercise just comes with it for me. Hell no i'm not doing it for free, with overhead, i'd be losing money obviously.
  10. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

Good plan. Nelson's doing some sweating and picking up chicks in the process.

No trimming, no blowing. Just a lonely old fat boy and his mower.

What cheapa$$ lazy biatch wouldn't go for that?