Man oh Man need help!!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by cz lawn care, Feb 16, 2008.

1. cz lawn care

cz lawn care LawnSite Member

Ok like I have previously said on here, I have been doing this for about a year ......when I do clean ups and mulching I usually give a fair price to the customer while makeing a good chunk for myself, but EVERY time I do it the customer always wants more and they dont want to pay any extra .....just wondering if this is normal for everyone, and how do u tell them w/ out sounding like your trying to just take more money from them?

Also I have an enclosed trailer.......not good for cleanups and mulching...do you think it would be beneficial if I bought a smaller open trailer just for that?

2. Lawnvision

Lawnvision LawnSite Member

If it something small that will not take much time or cost you money, then do it for them. Otherwise, get some pre-printed change order slips and do all extras on a time and material basis at your normal hourly price. if you do less work for what you charged, the customer will point it out quickly, so why is it any different for you to point out that you are doing more for the quoted price.

3. Lawnvision

Lawnvision LawnSite Member

As for the trailer. Overloading it with mulch, etc will cause bearing problems later on. I think it would be more efficient to use a truck or trailer that can haul at least 7-10 cubic yards or 84-120 2 cu ft bags.

4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

yea They allways do that.

Best thing to do is, write EVERYTHING down, get there signature, as approval to the job, and STICK TO IT....

5. cz lawn care

cz lawn care LawnSite Member

yeah.....sounds good

6. dfklawn

dfklawn LawnSite Member

on cleanups be sure to ask questions on the initial estimate vist, if they call just foe remulching, makeit clear if they want shrubs trimmed or not,.,.also look at other plants away from the mulch such as i the yard to see if they need attn., keep the eyes moving and give yourself a good size up of the property,.,. this wil give you a chance for upsell and eliminate any question about what theyare paying for.,,.,.

7. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

buy a dump trailer and everything else above sounds correct.

8. dfklawn

dfklawn LawnSite Member

for my experiences, addsing a hoist to your truck is better than a dump trailer,.,.,. most trucks can be done for around 1300 bucks.,,.,., after i get the new cab and chassis im buying a swith n go system

9. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

On mulch jobs I tend to quote by the yard. So I say in the quote something like this: "Supply and install 10 cu/yds of hemlock mulch for $650.00. Additional mulch available for $65 per cu/yd"

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yes I know exactly that situation.
    Been there, done that, more than a few times :cry:

The problems:
    1) A lack of sufficient demand.
    2) Prices too low.
    3) Not enough money in the bank.

The solutions:
    1) More advertising.
    2) Raise prices $5 across the board.
    3) Start saving.
    4) Keep doing that as often or as much as you like.

There you go.

Other notes: Unfortunately this can take an undetermined amount of that "when you're sick and tired of being sick and tired" stuff which, well, I hate to say it but you about have to let them do you x times then all of a sudden one day ATTITUDE happens lol
    So if you're not ready for it now, I thought I'd mention it in case it helps later.