1. This is a pretty long story but I had one neighborhood that I had 12 lawns in. Turns out they started to slow down payment and then not pay and then they would ask for a bill and when I gave it to them they wouldnt call or send out a check so I stopped service. I stopped service to the whole neighborhood cuse I didnt want to hear the angry ones everytime I was in there. A few days ago the one lady calls me and says I owe her $20. I said no I dont I have everything on record and there is no way I owe you money. I can only explain myself so much and so after a few phone calls I stopped picking up her calls. Today I get a nasty voicemail saying that she contacted better business burrow or however you spell it. So shes making me look bad for something that I didnt do. I am so pissed right now because their is nothing that I can do about this. I'm guessing? I never had a complaint once. Every lawn I do the customer loves the work so this just anoys me. Since she contacted them what happens to me now? Does anyone know? Do I have to shut down opperation? Thanks guys. Sorry about the long post

2. warren piece

warren piece LawnSite Member

All you will need to do is respond to the BBB when they contact you. It probably will not effect your business at all.

3. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

its not any big deal, she will submit a complaint and they will log it, then they will contact you for your side of the story and enter that information, if you offer a solution to them they will go back to the customer and try to resolve, if the customer refuses they will note that and close the case, it now will be on public record for three years and then be gone, but seriously why would a whole street of accounts go south on you?

4. Father&Daughter Lawn care

Father&Daughter Lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

Before you begin filing your complaint with BBB, please note:
    BBB's goal is to successfully resolve complaints involving buyers and sellers in a fair and timely fashion. This includes complaints involving consumer-to-business and business-to-business transactions that involve the advertisement and/or sale of a product or service. Information concerning the nature and resolution of complaints filed with BBB is used in developing BBB Reliability ReportsTM on companies. BBB accepts complaints whether or not the business is a BBB Accredited Business.

BBB generally does not handle complaints which are more effectively handled by other government or private agencies or the legal system, such as complaints involving employment practices, discrimination, or matters in litigation. Click here for more detailed BBB Complaint Acceptance Guidelines.

BBB strongly encourages consumers to first attempt to resolve complaints directly with the company, however BBB will not reject a complaint if a consumer has not taken this step. All complaints are processed by local BBBs, most often the BBB where the company is located. Historically, over 70% of complaints filed through BBB are resolved. In some cases, BBB mediation or arbitration may be offered to assist in resolution.

Your complaint will be forwarded to the company within two business days. The company will be asked to respond within 14 days, and if a response is not received, a second request will be made. You will be notified of the company's response when we receive it (or notified that we received no response). Complaints are usually closed within 30 calendar days.

BBB reserves the right not to process complaints containing abusive or foul language.

https://odr.bbb.org/odrweb/public/GetStarted.aspx

5. well I was happy to first start picking them up but then some of them started to be late on payment then didn't pay at all so I decided it was time to stop doing all their lawns because if I stopped 3 then they all talked to eachother and would complain. I have enough accounts now that are all good payers. It was getting old.

6. FDuce

FDuce LawnSite Member

What would have been the complaint...I didn't pay for my lawn service and now my lawn's not being cut?? If you would have kept maintaining the remaining lawns on time there would be no reason for the good ones to complain. But, your business, do what you want. If it doesn't affect your cash flow and gets rid of a PITA then I guess why not.

7. wbw

wbw LawnSite Fanatic

Three customers didn't pay you on time and you quit servicing their neighbors? Is this for real? Man, I hope you have better neighbors than me if you are going to be held responsible for what they do. Seriously, is this for real?

8. B_gerrits

B_gerrits LawnSite Senior Member

I kinda don't get it all 12 started paying late or just 3? I sure wouldn't cut off service to custs in good standing because of 3 deadbeats. I personally wouldn't care if the deadbeats were angry. I think I would tell the deadbeats if they want their lawn done pay up all past accounts and then pay on time or I will have to recieve payment in advance if they cant seem to make payment on time. If the other 9 accounts were in good standing IMO you should have told them you were no longer able to service that area and give them time to replace you if you didn't want to service them.

9. coolluv

coolluv LawnSite Gold Member
    from Atlanta

I guess I'm not the only one wondering what the He!! Nothing in this post makes sense to me. I will have to come back later when I have a few in me and see if it makes sense then. Anyone have a doobie?:drinkup:

Dave...

10. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

looks like someone else is getting 12 new accounts! what are you going to do if another 5 customers cancel on you or stop paying... now your going to be wishing you didnt drop the good ones. That was not a wise decision IMO... oh well....not my business your making a bad name for.