Manage - Nut Sedge - High Temps

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by khutch, Jul 25, 2005.

1. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

Any success spraying Manage for nutsedge this time of year?
    I would prefer to wait for fall but have a couple of customers willing to pay about what ever I ask for nutsedge control. I want to give them their $$'s worth to keep em'.
    How does Manage work in 85 - 90 degree temps?

2. SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC LawnSite Member

MANAGE WILL WORK OK BUT IS BIG BUCKS AND IS SLOOOOOOOOW! TRY GETTING SOME TARGET 6.6 FROM LESCO......IT WILL TAKE OUT CRABGRASS TOO.

WHILE AT IT YOU SHOULD HIT EM UP FOR AN AERATION AND SEEDING.........MORE THAN LIKELY THE LAWN NEEDS IT..........PLUS ITS EXTRA BUCKS FOR YOU . payup

3. br1dge

br1dge LawnSite Member

Manage is great, and 85 is ok. 90 is pushing it. Apply in late afternoon, use some sticker, and do not mow 2 days before OR after application..

4. Puttinggreens

Puttinggreens LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from southeast PA

Manage is one of the best products I get to use all year. I've never seen an effect on other plants and it always gets the nutsedge. This is a product that does a great job at what it claims.

Works fine in the heat, I think because the nutsedge is not shutting down in the heat like many grasses, just a guess.

In slightly cooler weather I use it at the lowest rate and mix in a little 15-0-0. Still works very well.

5. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

In your neck of the woods......been using it to spot spray nutsedge for the past few weeks. Does no harm to the Bermuda and takes out the nutsedge every time. Temperature does not seem to be an issue at all.

Now if someone had a situation where the nutsedge was so bad the entire lawn needed spraying, might consider using MSMA since Manage is so costly for that. I wouldn't expect MSMA to take out all Nutsedge with one application though.

6. LonniesLawns

LonniesLawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from KS

MSMA will kill visible nutsedge, but will not systemically move back into through the nutlets.

Mange kkills back 5 - 6 nutlests so you kill the plants you can't see.

You get what you pay for!

7. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I used Manage for the first time two weeks ago on a property that had a corner that was just covered with nutsedge. This stuff grew 12-14" in 10 days. Sprayed with manage and mowed three days later. One week later all was dead, a lot of it you couldn't even spot the dead stock. Truly amazing product, but pricey.

8. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

but can you spray it in ornamental beds?
    got hawthorne, ixora, pampas, king sago...

9. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

If I recall correctly, the label states over-the-top applications are not suggested. It is phytotoxic to herbaceous and woody ornamentals.

10. greenerpastures

greenerpastures LawnSite Member

Manage is deadly to many broadleaves. It is used heavily in corn and sorghum crops for sunflower and other broadleaf control.