Manage Users

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by sniggly, Oct 11, 2003.

1. sniggly

sniggly LawnSite Member

My Local Lesco dealer has been pushing Manage (Methyl-5 for short) here lately every time I go in I took some time to review the pamphlet and noticed the application directions in the spot treat section state the following:

"Mix 0.9 grams of this product (using the measuring scoop provided) in one or two gallons of water to treat 1000 sqft."

Emphasis being placed on ONE OR TWO GALLONS.

Anyone have any experience with the lower rate (.9 grams per 2 gallons)? I am figuring my cost per K.

Is the lower rate effective? Or have you found that .9 per gallon is more effective and thus reduces your probability of another application?

Thanks Yall!
  2. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

I used 0.9 Gram per gallon and have received very good results.
  3. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

The key part is "Mix 0.9 grams .......... to treat 1000 sqft."

Doesn't matter whether you use one gallon or 2 of water, as long as you are treating at the rate stated. If using 1 gal, treat at 1 gal/1000 ft²; if using 2 gal, treat at 1 gal/500 ft². Unless you change spray tips, you'll spend almost twice as long spraying the 2 gal rate.

Some lawn apps can have rates as low as 0.15 pt/1000 ft ² (herbicides in a Herbi micron sprayer), or as high as 10 gal/1000 ft² (many fungicides). You have to measure your mix accordingly.
  4. sniggly

sniggly LawnSite Member

I realize that .9 grams per 1k is the recommended application rate whether it's 1 or 2 gallons. However, I am spot treating.

I am basically trying to find out if the lower rate will do the same job without me having to fan a spot a little heavier than normal If I mix it at the lower rate (2 gallons per). We all know that some chemicals will work just fine at the lower rates and I am just trying to find out if this principal will apply with this chemical.

If I have to hit a spot twice as heavy than my normal practice because I mixed at the lower rate (2 gallons)....with the caveat that there is not a benefit to mixing at the lower rate.......then it makes no sense for me to use the mix. I would simply mix at the one gallon rate and carry on saving time on the property (albeit just a little time).

GroundKprs...I know you are going to tell me that the recommended rate is .9g per k regardless of all the instances I have presented here. I am just trying to figure if i can get this product to go a little farther. I am beating the point to death so I'll stop here.

5. Bigsmoke

Bigsmoke LawnSite Member

I use Manage everyday, and typically use two of the .9g scoops in backpack sprayers (3 gal) along with surfactant. You must use surfactants with Manage to achieve results. Also do not purchase the pre-measured packs. It will cost you $400 to treat the same area the $100 bottle will treat. Keep in mind that nutsedge is the only thing manage works on, so don't waste it by mixing with other herbicides.

Good Luck.
  6. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

are you telling me that they sell Manage in a bottle? I had no idea. I have been paying $10 for a packet that covers 1k. What size bottle and what is the cost?

7. sniggly

sniggly LawnSite Member

My dealer sells the bottle. It's 1 and a 1/3 oz. Includes the scoop (real small). Everything I have read about it indicates it's an effective chemical.
  8. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

How much for the bottle?
  9. sniggly

sniggly LawnSite Member

10. Bigsmoke

Bigsmoke LawnSite Member

I think you'll find the price varying between $90 and $120 (Lesco)for the bottle. Definitely the better deal vs. the pre-measured packets (if you plan to use it of course).