Manage

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Meier, Apr 6, 2003.

1. Meier

Meier LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

Someone on this board suggested that Manage is no longer any good after it has been mixed for 6 hours.

I found a Purdue University websight that indicates Manage loses its effectiveness within 2 or 3 days of being mixed.

As an experiment, I applied Manage that I mixed last fall to some nutsedge in my back lawn today. I'll post the results in about 4 weeks.

The funny thing is, I can't find anything on the Manage label that indicates this stuff loses it's effectiveness with age after it's been mixed.

Typically, nutsedge doesn't appear in 1,000 sq ft patches...more like 25 to 75 sq ft at a time. But the $11 one gallon package is labeled for 1,000 sq ft.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks,
    DFW, TX

2. I use it sometimes it's 3-5 days old and still works as good as new.

However read the label and it will tell you what the shelf life of ready to go will last.

3. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Depending on the pH and hardness of your water, most all lawn chemicals are breaking down as soon as they are mixed with water. Only exception is ester formulations.

If I am mixing up a gallon of Manage for only 200 ft², I will prearrange with someone else here needing it to share the gallon with him. I get done, pass tank on to him, and he sprays what he needs that day.

The rule with any pesticide is to only mix what you need to spray today. Nothing will be as effective a week after it is mixed, and it might be totally ineffective. With Manage, you also have to use the surfactant as required on label - makes a big difference.

4. Meier

from DFW

++++However read the label and it will tell you what the shelf life of ready to go will last.++++

I re-read the entire Manage label twice. Front and back. There is no mention on the label about how long the shelf life for "ready to use" will last. Nothing. Nada. Zip.

Later,
    DFW, TX

5. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Does Manage ONLY kill Nutsedge?

6. Meier

from DFW

++++Does Manage ONLY kill Nutsedge?++++

That's all I use it for.

Later,
    DFW, TX

7. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks Meier, I thought so, but could not remember. Thanks for the quick reply.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming. Sorry for the brief hijack.

8. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

I carry a hand sprayer to spot treat nutsedge. I have had some sit in the sprayer for over a week and it still worked just fine. I just shook up the sprayer and went.

9. Meier

from DFW

++++I carry a hand sprayer to spot treat nutsedge. I have had some sit in the sprayer for over a week and it still worked just fine. I just shook up the sprayer and went.++++

That was my original intention. I've got 5 back packs...one for Roundup one for Broadleaf post emergence, one for MSMA, one for insect control and one for Manage.

With the other materials, I don't worry about them going bad after mixing with water. I've had enough experience with them to know they'll last long enough for my purposes. But I am concerned about Manage. It's the most expensive of the bunch and Purdue indicated that it won't last long in ready to use form.

Have you ever allowed Manage to sit long enough such that it didn't achieve any controls? If so, how long did it sit?

Later,
    DFW, TX

10. Over a week and still worked good, however, I still believe it does take extra apps anyways, so I guess I could not tell any difference.