management books

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by dmk395, Nov 3, 2002.

1. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

Can anyone recommend a good book on how to manage employees?
  2. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Only thing that comes to mind is the liabrary!
  3. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think there is one book that provides the solution. It depends on what your own personality is and what the company personality is and what type of culture/organization you have or want to have.

If you have one employee it's different than having five, ten or a hundred. Also, who are you managing? Font line employees, managers, sales people, in house service, etc?

What are you trying to manage? Their performance? Where are they now and where do you want them to go? What is their incentive? Do they see it, understand it and believe in what they're doing and where you want them to go?

Or is it simply getting people to show up on time or wear their proper uniform?

Tough to answer a vague quesiton since there are so many different answers which depend on a slew of factors.

But to answer your question, there are a bunch of books out there, depending on the topic you select.

For a good customer service book - try "You will be satisfied" by Bob Tasca.

Try "The E-Myth" by Michael Gerber for organizational issues - will certainly effect the culture within your company.

So many to name... so little time to read.
  4. dmk395

from Ma

I saw the E-myth the other day, I think I will pick it up.
  5. B. Phagan

B. Phagan LawnSite Member

What do you need to know about managing employees?

Any specific issues?
  6. dmk395

from Ma

Actually I need to know everything about managing employees. I am 23 yrs old, have 2 part time employees and want to grow the size of my company. I have little experience in managing people, so I want to learn how to be more effective.
  7. B. Phagan

B. Phagan LawnSite Member

There's an awful lot we need to know about managing starts with the hiring process, educating them about the profession and expectations, being able to delegate to them to free us up to do more to promote our business and establishing systems and procedures, discipline, organization and structure to ensure things get done properly.

Check my site for more on the appropriate button on the first page.
  8. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

Check out Bill's Booster Books on his web site. There are other valuable topics covered aside from just management. Good stuff.