Manager of Cemetary underbid me.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Holloway Lawns, May 25, 2001.

1. Holloway Lawns

Holloway Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

One week ago I gave a bid to a cemetary that I have done some work for one month ago. The manager called me and wanted an estimate so I gave one she says don't underbid yourself. I talked to the manager a few days ago she said that the board members would have to meet on it that it is more money than the president can decide on alone. This morning a board member calls and ask what my bid was she wanted to know from me because the manager has said several different amounts. Come to find out the manager is trying to get the job for her son and husband she underbid me by $300.00 Anyway this board member wants me to do the job and is going to let all the others know that. What am I getting into here?:confused:
  2. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

It sounds to me like you are getting into a real pain in the a$$
    the manager will not be happy because hubby didn`t get the job and be complaning all the time. The other board members might be able to help, but all the complaints that she will be throwing at you, is it worth it?
  3. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds like an account i bid on this year, it was for a nursing home group with 20 homes. the head maintenance guy has his brother cut the places but they are sick of him, doesn't bag when its 8" high, doesn't cut it, everything you can think of, he does. but what can you exspect becuase the guys cutting a true $30 lawn for $18. another thing he didn't even turn my bid in to the board of members that approve who will maintain the lawns.
  4. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

From what I understand. A Board of Directors is for publicly held companies. If this Cemetary is not a publicy held company I think the "Board" may be a ruse to mess with you, and make the appearance of someone else is the decision maker on this project?

Ask for the address of her manager, and send the estimate to them directly.

It is very fishy.
  5. Holloway Lawns

This cemetary is an association.
  6. Freetime

Freetime LawnSite Member

Got you to bid on it so she could under bid you anyway “ well I got this bid from so and so lawn service but my husband and bubba ken geet et done fer less”

Let the other members know your bid and feelings about the situation then go on with day-to-day work.

Daddy “ you weed-eat today bubba”
    Bubba” NO I weedeatered the las time we was hera”
    Daddy “OK fine go home”
    Preacher “friends and family we are gathered today to…………(lot of slow driving and sad singing)

Do not waste your time if the person you are dealing with wants to play games!
  7. Holloway Lawns

Yea buddy that's what she did. I can use the profit I will get from this job so I hope I will still get it. They have a board meeting on the 11th so I will know around then.
  8. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

To be honest, what the heck would you want to cut a cemetary for? What a pain in the butt. Just can't be worth your time. Maybe it is, but what a pain.
  9. Chopper Lover

Chopper Lover LawnSite Senior Member

If you really want this job maybe you should take the time to go to the board meeting yourself "in case they have any questions".

Maybe when you lose the bid to the family of the manager, you can express your displeasure of being underbid by someone that had the information on all the bids in order to adjust their own bidding. Point out that maybe it is something the local District Attorney's office would like to investigate. I would think that nepotism in an environment like this will be obvious.

If nothing else it will get them thinking and maybe prevent future wastes of time by you or other LCO's to bid this property.

Good Luck,
  10. Holloway Lawns

Randy Scott

This job is for deweeding some flower beds not mowing and all. I am going to try and make it to thier board meeting as well.