managerial analysis of mowing crews

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by BradLewisLawnCare, Jun 12, 2012.

1. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Your link did not work.

2. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

why is this thread still alive?

There is a reason most people can not grasp your concepts.

3. SDLandscapes VT

SDLandscapes VT LawnSite Senior Member

So Mark

What is this HUGE thing that we are missing---if it really is that big of a deal lay it out here. Frankly you have yet to defend your position with a solid numerical example.

Lay it out here and let's discuss

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

I won't use numbers, as according to 32whatever liars use numbers. Besides, if you read my posts, I stated I no longer have access to my actual numbers from back when I did use 1 man crews. But I am going back to them.

As for defending it, if some can't grasp the fact that higher revenue does not automatically mean higher profits, there is no point in wasting monitor ink.

Thanks for the challenge, but many\most are beyond it in this thread.

5. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Some can't grasp the fact that I never said higher revenue automatically means higher profits. That is too general of a statement to hold true 100% of the time.

Some also can't grasp that because one man working alone means more money at the end of the day because there is lower labor costs does not hold true. Another statement that is is too general to hold true 100% of the time.

And, that when there is more then one man working on a job that one of them will be standing around with their hands in their pockets lowering profits is not a guarantee either.

In the end of the day with everything being equal a two man crew will put more money into the business owners pockets.

Every point claimed about how a one man crew is better has not shown to put more money in the business owner's pocket at the end of the day.

6. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

Why would you stray from a proven business concept? You are defending single man crews yet you no longer run them? If you could please explain, a few of us posters would love to hear why you no longer do business using the most productive and cost effecient manner possible?

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Notice the last sentence of my post.

One of the biggest reasons was some changes of customer profiles, which isn't really a good reason looking at what has happened since then.

Other even more important reason was personnel changes.

Not going to deny, hypocritical of me, but I see the issue and am changing it. I had one last year and this year. If things keep going this year, I will be splitting it to see how it works out with the personnel I have. As for equipment, I can split the crew up. No need to purchase more, other than a handheld or 3. Although it would give me a great excuse to get a Grandstand.