Managing a big job? Logistics?

Discussion in 'Seal Coating Forum' started by SealQuest, May 1, 2012.

1. SealQuest

SealQuest LawnSite Member

I have the opportunity to land some pretty big jobs. 200k+ sq/ft So how do you guys manage a big job like that when it comes to your product. My local supplier would typically be 20-30 min away from any given job site. I have a 700 gallon tank and from what I have learned it will cover between 24,000 to 28,000 sq/ft. So on a 200,000 sq/ft job I am looking at upwards of 9 trips back and forth to the supplier. That's 9+ hours or down time for one job. Is this typical or is there a way around this?

Also, when bidding a typical job do you have sq/ft pricebreaks that drop your price per sq/ft? i.e. 5,000 to 20,000=X per sq/ft, 20,000-50,000=Y per sq/ft, etc.

2. richsealcoating

richsealcoating LawnSite Member

I cannot see where you are located from my phone but here by me i would have my supplier drop a tanker on site for me. As long as you have a place on site to let it sit.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. sealcutter

sealcutter LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA.

Did you ever do a job like this before? You can get a tanker dropped but that is allot of money up front, lot usually are sprayed twice (two coats).

4. richsealcoating

Yes and it was worth it to me. The tanker cut a day plus off of The job not to mention The fuel in The trucks it saved. As for money upfront for material that is your own decision on how to manage that.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  5. richsealcoating

Also for your coverage rate it seems as if your only getting 40 sq ft per gl.. Unless you are dealing with very course asphalt thats never been sealed you should be able to get at least 65 sq ft plus to a gallon of sealer.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

Jobs like that , we get a tanker delivered with sealer , and another tanker with water . The supplier doesnt charge us any extra for it . Unless its less than 4000 gallons . Price the job , not the sq ft. The amount of sq ft , is a base for pricing , is it night work ? , traffic control ? etc etc .