Managing customers/weather

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by MowCo, Apr 8, 2006.

1. MowCo

MowCo LawnSite Member

I'm new to the business and I'm the customers are coming at a pretty rapid rate. I'm wondering when I should stop taking new customers. Right now I'm putting customers on a schedule and I'm wondering if I should leave a day in each week open for makeup work that I missed due to weather. Should I worry about being overloaded if I fill up Monday thru Friday with appointements?

2. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

Now is the time you can start weeding through your customers. Why stop taking them? Go to them for estimates and give them a higher estimate. If you make more money on them, why keep the people you make less money with?

3. MowCo

MowCo LawnSite Member

but I guess what I'm asking is if I would ideally like to work 5 days a week, should I fill up my schedule with regular customers for 4 days? 4 1/2? How much time does everyone else leave unscheduled for rainy day makup work and odd jobs?

4. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

It's not always pretty the first season, but take what you can get and if you get full, you can then start weeding out the bad accounts (low profit or poor location)

You must be getting a heck of a response rate to be worried about this already :)

5. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Heck man take all the new customers on,we lose a few every season but we always pick up some like yesterday we lost a 10k a year commercial property for bids, lowballers chewing the price so low there is no profit,but i picked up three residentials that covered my loss,if your week is full don't take em we do .

6. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

I know i like to take on alot of customers and really work my a$$ of in the spring. Even with no days off, unless it rains. Cause it gets slow for me in the summer months and i'm glad i have those extra customers during that time of year.

7. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

^That's right. If you want to really make it your first couple of years you don't get a day off. Once youre like some of these other guys, you can take the whole week off.

8. wecruisin

wecruisin LawnSite Member

The guy i had been working for did lawns plus did painting and remodeling. He had 3 full days worth of lawn work and used the other 2-3 days to do his other work. That way if it was raining he was still making money and the other days he could do his lawns. This works well if you are into doing that kind of work.

9. oasislawns

oasislawns LawnSite Member

Hey Mowco, what are you doing as far as advertising? I am trying to get some more customers and would like to know since whatever you are doing seems to be working well.

10. MowCo

MowCo LawnSite Member

I preprint fliers introducing myself and my company with an estimate for their lawn at the bottom of the flier. It's easier if you can do a neighborhood where all of the lots are similar so that you can pre-print the estimate amount as well. I've passed out about 300 and I've got about 15 regular customers and a few one timers as well.