Managing fall and winter bermuda installations

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ThreeWide, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Williams Services

Williams Services LawnSite Senior Member

I want to resurrect this thread to pursue the simazine question. The label on simazine says that it can't be used north of NC except the coastal plains of VA, so I wouldn't think that the leaching is a concern - wouldn't the CP have a higher water table than the rest of the state?

My question is this:

Is anyone using simazine as a pre-emergent for cg, etc.? I like the 27ยข/m idea ...

2. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Although it is not stated on the Simazine label, a friend of mine who has been in this field for years told me not to apply it anywhere near the Spring greenup windows.

He says that it will cause problems with Bermuda coming out of dormancy. If that is true, then using it to prevent crabgrass would not be possible.

3. Williams Services

Right, but is that for common bermuda as well, or just the hybrids?

4. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

I only deal with hybrids, so it might not apply to common.

5. greenerpastures

greenerpastures LawnSite Member

We have occasionally used simazine in Feb/March combined with pendemethalin. Target was heavy early spring broadleaf weeds such as thistle and henbit---usually renovation-type work. It is not going to give you the crab control you want. Simazine can't be beat for its fall application value when you consider price for performance, but its not a stand-alone product for spring pre-emerge.

To some degree or another, virtually all herbicides have some phytotoxicity to turf. My experience with simazine is that it is negligible, even in late winter.

6. Williams Services

Will it not send the bermuda and zoysia into dormancy? I was told it would.

7. greenerpastures

greenerpastures LawnSite Member

My experience is with bermuda. Turf injury has not been noticeable. However, I don't know why one would make a simazine app during spring green-up ---- your target weeds are already emerging.

Our fall applications often go out a month before frost and the turf is active. Never any injury. Again, I consider simazine mainly a fall pre-emerge product and an occasional poa post-control product.

Scott's actually market a fert with atrazine ( similar chemistry to simazine, but more soluble). They sell it over the counter at garden centers year-round. Not something I recommend, but alot of it gets put out by Joe Homeowner year-round.

8. Williams Services

Ok, that helps out. I'm familiar with atrazine. Thanks, greenerpastures.

9. cecropia11

cecropia11 LawnSite Member

Is there any products on the market that will remove kentucky 31 fescue out of bermuda grass, besides glyphosate.

10. kbrashears

kbrashears LawnSite Senior Member

Revolver.

But why would you be bashful on using gly in Evansville?