Managing over 200 maintenance accounts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cpel2004, Jun 10, 2006.

1. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm in the process of purchasing a lawn business with over two accounts. I wanted to know from the guys who are currently running over 200 accounts, what draw backs I may experience and what would you do differently if you had the opportunity to change.

2. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like a handful.....I've got half of that and it's ALMOST a peice of cake. you gotta have thick skin.:drinkup: < and alot of those

3. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm around 120 a week. Managing the accounts isnt to bad. It's the maintenance and employee issues that gets tough.

4. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

make sure to hire twice as many employees as what you need cause on any given day, half wont show up. the current employees at company wont stay or be worth a crap for you if they do, so youre already starting from scratch.

5. launboy

launboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

i got 200 on the nose. some days its a nghtmare, some days its the greatest thing ever. make sure you have good dependable employees, remember your buisness is only as good as they are. Another drawback is with 200 hundred accounts, you'll have roughly 15-20 clients who are 100% crazy and a pain in the butt to deal with; but it is a great way to make a living as long as you stick with it. oh ya have back up mowers, whips, and edgers 200 accounts is alot to do in a week and the machines take a beating.

6. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

exactly. it a full time job keeping up with repairs.

7. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes!!!:waving:

8. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

1st .... Give em the tools too be successful which ..... equip MUST FIT your need .... n it needs to stay up too date ... HAVE Backup equip n at least 1-2 trucks/ trailers ...

Keep organized .... perform your daily-weekly-monthly paper-work on time ..... have a great foreman ... delegate responsibility .... follow up ....on quality ....n pay them accordingly ..... keep a firm & fair judgment which each employee equally ....no favors ....n NO advances on pay ..... bonus em on hitting the numbers ... n show those off whom perform in the group .... lots' more but that's a start

We do just under 290 per week ....42 weeks per year ... in a 5 mile radius

9. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

For guys that do manage this amount of accounts, What time do you start? What time do you end? How many accounts do you do a day? And how about do you get this many accounts? Any market tips you pros can give me? I can finish my route I have now in two days.

10. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I don't have 200 accounts, but I can tell you, that you get 200 accounts the same way you get the first 50, 100 and so on, just do it more agressively