Managing Turfgrass Disease

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by JoeAtRU, Feb 17, 2012.

1. JoeAtRU

JoeAtRU LawnSite Member

Richard Buckley, Plant Diagnostic Laboratory Director at Rutgers University, has this to say about turfgrass diseases:

"Poor turf is not the result of disease, disease is a result of poor turf. Be a good turf disease manager by becoming a competent agronomist. Then you can grow turf that tolerates, resists, or quickly recovers from pathogen attack."

Turfgrass Disease Management 3/9/12 (NJ)

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

When the weather is hot and humid or perfect (for disease)--everything hits the fan. Know your diseases and be prepared to take action when it happens.

And grow disease resistant grass.

3. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

I would have to agree with this. But as Riggle said sometimes stuff happens.

To me turf/plant health is comparable to human health. Good health is a combination of several factors and is a cumulative effect. If a person practices good health habits they are less likely to experience sickness or will recover from it better. There is a saying in biology "Everything is everywhere it is just a matter if enviromental factors allow it to manifest itself".

4. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

I hope the fellow who made that statement also controls the weather. There are grasses that resist disease, some more so than others. I learned the hard way that there is no such thing as a totally pest and disease resistant grass. At least ones that normal people want in their landscape.