manhours???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jmleaver, Apr 14, 2003.

1. jmleaver

jmleaver LawnSite Member
    from NH

Hey guys.. Feeling a little stress. I am trying to figure out a good hourly rate. I am wondering if you guys can help me clarify hourly rate.

As an industry we estimate per man-hour. So correct me if I am wrong, but if I estimate a job to take 8 hours that 8 hours are then divided by the number of guys working?

So it would be for 2 guys it would be 4 hours per each

But then if say my rate were $40.00 per man-hour would my rate be actually $80 per clock hour?

Or would it be 40.00 per clock hour?

Can you guys help me with this situation...Thanks

2. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

jmleaver- $40 per man hour for 2 men= $80 per clock hour. A job that takes 2 men 10 hours to do= 20 man hours

3. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

When I bid a job, I make sure the client understands that it will cost X amount of dollars per man - per hour.

4. ConPro

ConPro LawnSite Member

Never tell the customer what your per man hr$ is. Give them a bid and tell them you'll work for free but with my equiptment, gas, insurance, and labor it comes out to $40 per man hour. Always works. I myself only charge $28 per man hr, with 6 guys though.

5. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Are you talking about for cutting grass, or for doing landscaping? Cutting grass is always a flat rate, except for those nasty jobs you get every now and again. Landscaping and other such stuff can be based on man hours. Just tell your clients that it is $40, per person, per hour, and our typical crew consists of 2 people.

6. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Same here...$40 per man. 8 hours with 2 men= $640 Give or take a few $....:)