1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Manicure cut from these WB?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hamsey, Jun 30, 2005.

1. hamsey

hamsey LawnSite Member
    from CT

I am looking into these 48" decks:

Toro Proline
    Exmark (Metro & Viking)

Which one will give me the best cut with strips? Having searched I cannot zero in on which one will give the best cut. Currently I have 3 properties and 1 commercial account and hope to pick up more next year. Some of the properties are sloped and am trying to figure out between hydro or belt. I see lots of Exmark ZTR's but not many WB's. I like Gravely because you can run doubles not sure about running doubles with the other decks. I can get a good deal on Ferris but am not familiar with them. Dealers are local so that is not am issue. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks Norm
  2. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

Exmark is the only one I have experience with, but there all good quality companies. I have a 48" metro W/B. I love it. I only have a few properties on hills but it handles those with out a problem.

Good Luck.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Well I use the proline 30197, have both a '98 and an '05 and the ONLY consideration for me is T-bar.

Now those are fixed decks, you'll want to know how to operate a Wb before you go messing with slopes and a deck that doesn't float, but other than that, the fixed deck is by far the better mower (lighter, faster, more accurate). To be sure, the fixed deck is the Razor's edge while the float deck is for people who are learning how to operate a wb.
  4. stryper

stryper LawnSite Member
    from IL

Never heard it put that way before....
  5. hamsey

hamsey LawnSite Member
    from CT

T-Bar is why I am considering the Toro. They own Exmark, is there a big difference in mower quality and cut quality?

Has anyone put a roller on an Exmark? I'm big on strips!

I was told to get a hydro if you are going to be cutting anything that has a slope because it is easier to turn than the belt drive units.

6. GLC51

GLC51 LawnSite Member

Can't speak specifically about the 48" deck . I had a Toro 20hp hydro 44" which I traded in on a 32" Stander. The cut was OK but the Stander is better. As far as belt vs hydro get the hydro. they are more expensive but worth it especially if you are cutting slopes and hills. I love the T bar control I have it on a gear 32" Toro. The Stander has a quad control system which is excellent. Stay away from pistol grips search for the threads and you will see a lot of people complaining about hand and arm pain with the pistol grip machines.
  7. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Gravely, it cuts beautifully.
  8. hamsey

hamsey LawnSite Member
    from CT

Pistol grips are out of the question as I am recovering from carpal tunnel surgery. I can forget about Ferris as I don't see any ergonomic controls. I will check out the Gravely tonight. Any other thoughts about the Exmark?

9. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

Check out the prosteer, it's an awesome design. I would have purchased that if it was out when I bought mine in 2002.
  10. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Off those list, eXmark Viking is the pick, the machine is built nicely and the ECS on that mower is sweet besides twin hydro. It is not a big deal fixed or floater cause it is only 48" deck, unless you go bigger that when floater comes to play.
    Another route you might think is a Stander, it is a cut above Viking and the rest for stand-up mower, and it is king of hill. Only a few complaints on Stander.
    I own 36" Metro and 52" TTHP so I know how well eXmark cut, but my competitors run Stander and Hustler stuff so I know too how well those machine do.