Manifold design

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by drmiller100, May 13, 2005.

1. drmiller100

drmiller100 LawnSite Senior Member

pretty fundamental question, but what is the best way to build a manifold. PVC? Glued? Threaded? Iron?

If it matters, I'm using Irritrol valves where the top unscrews very easily. We are in freezing areas.

Thanks.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

In freezing climates, it might be assumed that poly pipe is being used, and that, in turn, points to using threaded valves.

3. drmiller100

drmiller100 LawnSite Senior Member

ok, yes, i'm using threaded valves.

that doesn't mean the whole manifold needs to be threaded, does it?

i'm getting really tired of my threaded plastic manifolds leaking when i put them together. i'm wondering if i should build them so that i can unscrew the valves, but the rest of the manifold is glued.

thanks much in advance,
    doug

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I build all of my manifolds out of 1" or 1 1/4" Glued PVC.

5. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

I don't like manifolds (got to be the service guy in me). I firmly believe in the hydraulic placement of valves. That being said, have you tried the RB manifold w/ the built in unions. I'm not sure how old a product this is. I saw my first one in the field last year, and IF I could have found one in a parts house, I would have just replaced it. This spring, I see them available at my supplier. I haven't priced it out, but it looks user friendly. I couldn't believe they offer the mainline side poly adapter for it. I take great exception to those who run poly mains. Best thing about my local PI. He won't sign off on them :)

6. Wet_Boots

is the best advice I can think of, assuming you use valves with female threads, with a pipe-thread to poly adapter on the valve outlet. (valves with male threads use a softer plastic, and aren't as risky as they would be if they were made of PVC) Each threaded connection is a bit of 'wiggle room' to relieve strain, so I favor their use. More temperate climates don't see so much frost and heave in the soil, so an all-PVC system doesn't face the same risks as it would in colder areas.

7. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I've pondered this same question myself. I've had to replace a couple PVC manifolds in the last couple of seasons and they were all cracked at the first valve. I thought to myself "what a waste, there has to be a better way". I did one with all threaded sch80 fittings and one in all sweated copper fittings. So far, I'm leaning towards doing them in all copper from now on.

8. Wet_Boots

The broken manifolds I saw (on systems I personally winterized, so freezing wasn't a consideration) were at female threads on a schedule 40 fitting. Constructing manifolds without those female-threaded fittings seems to eliminate the problem. I think sweated copper is overkill, but you might combine it with brass zone valves as an upgrade.

9. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

you're not gluing them correctly.

10. Wet_Boots

I suspect the OP was using all-threaded manifold fittings, which piggyback onto each other, using O-rings for sealing. O-rings can fail. Better to build your own manifolds from standard fittings.