Manifold rebuild comparison

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, May 18, 2008.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Yesterday myself and one of me techs each had a manifold to rebuild. Mine was a 5 zone, his was a 7 or 8 zone. On mine the PVC was cracked where a poly male adapter (yes from the poly mainline) had cracked the threaded PVC ell fitting. It was a system I blew out in the fall, and the H/O was so sure it was freeze damage. It wasn't, but I warrantied it anyway. Valves were all fine, just needed PVC manifold to be replaced. From the time I showed up, to the time I left, it took me 43 minutes. Dug up just past the box to get to the mani drain. everything else I did straight in the box.

now my tech spent 2 hours Friday digging up and tearing out his 7-8 zone manifold. Two boxes deep in an awkward area. THEN due to the lame configuration by someone else, it took 4 hours to rebuild on Saturday. The original was cracked where a nipple was screwed into a SxFxS tee. And the manifold was bowed. He added poly after the valves to get the mani straight inline, and changed out the hose clamps to pinch clamps. AND still need to go back to bury it. He was running way behind and had another job to get to.

Just goes to show when installing it right, it takes minimal time to repair. This was installed by one of the good landscapers I work with. Note the rag to wipe the excess glue :). Sorry Pete, long post and not an IPhone quality picture

manifold rebuild.jpg

2. Yes but an interesting post and not a bad pic either. 43 minutes for all that ain't bad. I groan for 43 minutes when I see a manifold but ours have pvc on both sides of the valve.

3. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Is that green poly Im seeing?

4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Why yes it is.

5. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Ive never seen that before. Who's the manufacturer?

6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

The rag is washed out due to the camera quality and the light. But if it was visible, you'd see purple (primer), blue (glue), and red (blood from three knuckles). But I got it done quick!!!

7. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

So did you ever determine why it cracked? I did one friday ( 5 zone) that cracked because the inside shutoff was shot and passed a few drips a day adding up over the winter. The BF was improperly plumbed by the original installer so there was no boiler drain to be left open at winterization.

8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I believe it was Eagle or PW Eagle or what ever they may be called now.

9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Most likely due to over tightening of the MA into the PVC. Not my fault, but didn't want to fight about it. High end neighborhood in the forest. And I didn't want him calling up and crying to the original installer. I can eat it once in a while.

Was the leaking shut off a gate valve? We see that a lot where they won't shut all the way and cause problems.

10. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

I noticed the rag to wipe excess glue. Acording to the expert I saw on Irrigation tv , he said your supposed to use your finger.Didnt you learn anything?