manifold service

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by londonrain, Jun 23, 2007.

1. I had the pleasure of working on one of my systems I installed in 2000..
    I manifold 99% of my residential jobs for this exact reason. A 205 with a blown out diaphragm and the repair was a dream.
    [​IMG]
    Blown out diaghragm
    [​IMG]

Valve on the far right needed the screws tightened down, so I tightened all six valve screws on the tops...
    [​IMG]

2. London we use the Dewalt folding power screwdriver on that valve and get a long phillips or hex head extension. I set the ratchet at 7 when tightening and give the last 1/2 turn with a screwdriver. A trick which I learned from a Toro rep is to use a screwdriver and go backwards slowly until you feel the screw drop and that way you don't cut new threads. Repairing that valve in a six inch box can be dicey sometimes.

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Or maybe all eight screws on the valve tops? Loose screws were a gripe with the Richdel design, especially on the antisyphon version. Not that they were incompetently manufactured, but the flat diaphragm didn't give a lot of room for error. I am a bit surprised that particular valve failure still occurs.

4. yes all 8 screws on all six valves

5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Both you and Hayes wrap coils of wire. Is this some sort of superstitious thing or does it actually protect from lightening or badgers?

6. Dirty Water

Oh, and boots could have fit at least 8 more valves into those boxes.

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Boxes? As in plural?
    [​IMG]

8. Dirty Water

You and I are probably the only people who took Dura's nesting ability serious.

Though the only time I've nested a 90 into a tee was when retrofitting an old manifold.