1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Manifold vs. Inline valves

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jlouki01, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Happens in Texas, though. That's why they like slip x slip valves :)

2. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

A threaded joint is just another possible leak and I've seen many leak, not mine but they can leak. I like glue in valves but leave room for replacement.

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I see threaded valves as supplying a measure of stress relief in poly-pipe systems.

4. irritation

Poly mains are for pikers.

5. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Poly and PVC in the hands of children:

DSCN1213.jpg

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  6. irritation

I wonder what size of jumbo box was over that mess?
    I would think the poly wire sleeves were more of a hassle than protection.

7. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I believe there were three standards; the poly sleeve was most assuredly a hassle because we cut through it many times while rebuilding the botched system.

8. jlouki01

jlouki01 LawnSite Senior Member

These are some of the reasons I asked my question. Here we trench pvc mostly. I do see some Poly for laterals but for the most part it's all PVC.

I personally like installing slipxslip valves but have started using threaded a bit more.

I can see a properly laid out manifold having some advantages to repairing and replacing valves ( if the installer left room ).

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Nor I .... at least one I built .... but that doesn't mean I don't allow for easy replacement either.

IMG_1320a.JPG

10. Some Sprinkler Guy

Some Sprinkler Guy LawnSite Member

Well I gotta say I don't think any threaded valve is as good as a solvent weld. I rarely reuse a pvc threaded valve after its been used once before. The pvc misforms when you thread something into it. I don't trust them not to crack on the second go round.

In addition the male adapter is the weakest fitting made. I suppose you could use nipples though.
    Posted via Mobile Device