Manifold vs. Inline valves

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jlouki01, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Happens in Texas, though. That's why they like slip x slip valves :)

2. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

A threaded joint is just another possible leak and I've seen many leak, not mine but they can leak. I like glue in valves but leave room for replacement.

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I see threaded valves as supplying a measure of stress relief in poly-pipe systems.

4. irritation

Poly mains are for pikers.

5. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Poly and PVC in the hands of children:

DSCN1213.jpg

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  6. irritation

I wonder what size of jumbo box was over that mess?
    I would think the poly wire sleeves were more of a hassle than protection.

7. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I believe there were three standards; the poly sleeve was most assuredly a hassle because we cut through it many times while rebuilding the botched system.

8. jlouki01

jlouki01 LawnSite Senior Member

These are some of the reasons I asked my question. Here we trench pvc mostly. I do see some Poly for laterals but for the most part it's all PVC.

I personally like installing slipxslip valves but have started using threaded a bit more.

I can see a properly laid out manifold having some advantages to repairing and replacing valves ( if the installer left room ).

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Nor I .... at least one I built .... but that doesn't mean I don't allow for easy replacement either.

IMG_1320a.JPG

10. Some Sprinkler Guy

Some Sprinkler Guy LawnSite Member

Well I gotta say I don't think any threaded valve is as good as a solvent weld. I rarely reuse a pvc threaded valve after its been used once before. The pvc misforms when you thread something into it. I don't trust them not to crack on the second go round.

In addition the male adapter is the weakest fitting made. I suppose you could use nipples though.
    Posted via Mobile Device