Manifolds systems vs systems with single valves

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by thelawnkid, Feb 21, 2009.

1. thelawnkid

thelawnkid LawnSite Member

I am not a stranger to irrigation. Most of my experience is in repairs but I do have a decent amount of experience in installs. But I have never designed a system. I do have a design that I am working on for my parents house and have done alot of research, but I also know that its my first design and that stuff does not always work as planned. I am kinda wanting to go with a manifold type system as opposed to having lots of small valve boxes all over the place. What do you all prefer and why so. I do understand that both have their places but what do you prefer and why.

2. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

typicaly guys that trench do single cans. guys that pull do manifolds.
    Im a manifold guy myself.

3. irrigationgrl

irrigationgrl LawnSite Member

I have never done anything other than manifolds. I haven't seen any installed that way around here.

4. Dripit good

Dripit good LawnSite Bronze Member

Why commit to one or the other when you can have the best of both worlds?

Three here, two there, one there, three around the corner........

Put 'em where they won't be an eye sore.

5. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Kinda the way I do it. Put em where ya need em. We typicaly have at least 1 at the POC and 1 at the clock ( ext) fill in as needed.

6. A-1 got it. Pulling use manifolds. Trenching use cans and single valves. Try to locate the valve in its area of operation and split the zone with as close to half the flow on each side of the valve. Use bullhead fittings right out of the valve into the section line ditch. 6" VBs, single strand 14 ga wire with plenty of slack in the box. Coil wire to give it that finished professional look.

7. Dripit good

Dripit good LawnSite Bronze Member

I always do that with 14 ga. Wrap it around my large index finger for the nice pro look. Make's life easier for the person tracking (when the time comes). Get a stronger reading too.

8. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

After those years of pizza and beer I now HAVE "man-i-folds". :cry:
    And yup, AI said it the best.

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Don't see any manifolds in Texas area. I am curious how that works when you got 36 stations on a commericial property stretching along long roadways? Since you "pull" and don't dig trenches how do you get 36 pipes together?

10. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

I would do a series of 10" cans with 2 valves in each 1 zone going in either direction. Keep in mind in live in rotor world up here. We install 40 rotors to every 3 sprayers around here.