1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Manitou buys Gehl

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Tigerotor77W, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

2. Digdeep

Digdeep LawnSite Bronze Member

3. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I missed that one. I find that very interesting. I wonder what that means for Gehl?
  4. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Screw Gehl, what about Bobcat, their VersaHandlers are Manitou's.

Hey at least they will get those neat-o 360 spin crane type handlers here now.
  5. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

I was talking with a regional manager from Gehl the other day. Sales on excavators, skids is down but on the flip side, folks are buying cranes like hot cakes at premium prices and they cannot get them out the door fast enough. My thoughts were that these cranes were going to chemical and oil industries.
  6. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

Whoa, no -- Bobcat and Sambron (although also a French company; I'll give you that :)) are one in the same, NOT Bobcat and Manitou!

I'll admit that I did *not* see this one coming, mainly because I don't pay much attention to telehandlers (... oops), but for me the question is how Gehl will grow. It's a predominantly ag-based product in the States, so with some French backing, it's possible that Gehl can expand overseas to Europe and start taking business away from Bobcat there.

I'm also amused by the sale price of this one versus the Doosan-Bobcat one. /chuckles/
  7. Digdeep

Digdeep LawnSite Bronze Member

Gehl and Mustang have been sold in Europe for years with a decent following. I don't think this will significantly improve their distribution. If I remember from my Bobcat training Gehl and Mustang already had well over a couple hundred dealers in Europe and had done fairly respectable with sales of their small skids and AG products.