Manor results

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by hmartin, Dec 4, 2005.

1. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone have much experience with Manor (metsulfuron methyl) for broadleafs and wild onions. Onions are everywhere in lawns, most noticeably dormant bermuda, in my area. Homeowners really despise them. I have had OK success with 24d esters and amines, but I want better control. I have read that Manor is absorbed by uptake from the soil. True? I saw a report from one of the Georgia universitys that Manor was an alternative to 3way products for winter broadleaf and onion control in bermuda athletic fields, but the report didn't say which method was most effective. I have heard that Image works good for onion control, but it is so expensive. Thanks.:)

2. Dallas Turf

Dallas Turf LawnSite Member

I have been using Manor in My Spring and Fall Simazine mixes and I have really liked the results. I will tell you that it is allot slower than 2,4-d but I have had great results. It also is labeled for taking out Rye and Fescue and it will get poa. Great stuff. I have not looked into it for onions so check the label also read (not use)the ag label for Ally by DuPont same stuff but it will list other weeds controlled, but use the turf product :) Manor , it is also sold as Blade by Riverdale

3. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Manor is also very expensive, or it certainly appears to be. Not surprising as most of the sulfonylurea herbicides are.

That is why I would question using it to address broadleaf problems when you have much cheaper products available. Now if you are targeting Poa or Rye, it would make sense. But I'm always looking to learn something new every day.

4. Dallas Turf

Dallas Turf LawnSite Member

Turf:
    A little can go a long ways. I usually apply at .12 to .25 oz per acre with good success. It costs around $140 per 2 oz bottle.

Mixed with sim. it will do a nice cleanup job on those new nasty yards we get calls to rescue in the spring. When applied in the fall it keeps the lawns cleaner longer than simazine/ 2,4-d.

http://www.greenbook.net/docs/Label/L50051.PDF

Poa is not on the label but it helps take it out better than simazine alone