Manta Ray earth anchors

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by steve5966, Aug 26, 2007.

1. steve5966

steve5966 LawnSite Member

I know what all the brochures and manuals say about instalation of Manta Rays for SRW's and i've talked to the dealer I ordered them from about installing, but what I want to know is the little problems i'm going to run into while useing them?

Does anyone have any experience with them?

2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

LOL, they will NOT work with srw's

you will not have "little problems" you will have major failures...
    why would you want to use this in the first place?

they are single point anchors, only securing ONE block per anchor......unlike grogrid that anchors an entire row.

they are used here by guys building seawalls ONLY when they can't get back to install deadmen..

3. steve5966

YardPro, a earth anchor is a single point anchor if you use it that way. This application is not. Take a horizontal row of anchors spaced at 6', on the protruding end of anchors 1 and 2 will be 3" steel pipe 10' long. Between 3 and 4 will be another. On 2 and 3 will be one overlapping the others. As you build your wall the geogrid will go from the wall, around the pipe and back to the wall 2 rows higher. This is how an anchor is used for a retaining wall. In my situation I don't have the room needed to dig out for geogrid.

I'm not looking for engineering help, what I want to know is the problems I may run into from an instalation standpoint.

4. YardPro

wow, sounds like a pita to use....

how far back will the anchors be set?

5. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

6. steve5966

The anchors will be starting at 20'. After driving them in we have to set them with a hydraulic jack, if all goes well they will hold at 20 kips (20,000 pounds I think) if not i'll be on the phone to the engineer and adding more and deeper. The core samples from about 10' back of the existing wall were all below 10 blows. If your not familiar with the blow count 10 or less is about as bad as soil can be for holding power. The engineer thinks it will get better the deeper we go. The best part of this job is that we are out of Nebraska, the job is in Mississippi, the anchors come from Colorado and the engineer and srw's are in Alabama. What could possibly go wrong with this job? I'm waiting for a hurricane to start forming in the Carabean.

7. YardPro

sounds like a mess.....

i like the design of those. That's pretty sweet.