Mantis, Echo, or Honda mini tiller

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by blafleur, Sep 30, 2003.

1. blafleur

blafleur LawnSite Member

It was brought up in a previous thread. I have been debating getting a mini tiller. I now have a cultivator attachment for my Echo split shaft, it is junk.

Any words of wisdom on the dedicated mini tillers, I have heard some say the Honda is the best. I definately like Honda motors. I have also heard a lot good about the Echo and Mantis. At least for a while I believe they were the same unit.

Thanks,
    Bryan

2. Strongmd

Strongmd LawnSite Member

Honda, all the way.
    I have one and I use the straight blades instead of the tiller blades to slice seed in small areas. Works fantastic.

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I have a Honda mini. Very good unit. Its one very handy little machine.

4. Keith Howells

Keith Howells LawnSite Member

We also use the Honda mini. We like it and have used it for two seasons with no problems.

I originally thought it was a waste of money, puny and under-powered, but several of the guys insisted so I gave in. Now I'm sold.

5. NCSERVICE

NCSERVICE LawnSite Member

Stihl now makes a tiller, called a yard boss, it looks like a pretty sweet unit. if i had to pick though i would go with the mantis you cant beat those tines.

6. Black Water

Black Water LawnSite Senior Member

I have a troy built, and have had no problems in three years. However the Mantis tines look like they would work better than mine.

7. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

Straight blades", like the Mantis's? I use a power rake (dethatcher) to prep small areas. Can you compare the mini tiller to one of those? Something for those real small areas would be nice.........

8. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

BTW, does John Deere still make a tiller?

9. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

looks like a tool next to a toy Mantis! Seriously, night and day "heavy duty" look compared. Stronger engine too.
    $319 list

10. hollywood

hollywood LawnSite Member

go with the Honda mini. A benefit to mini tillers is that you dont need ramps to load/unload from a truck. I have used a honda for quite some time w/o any problems.