Mantis Mini Tiller/Edger

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, Jan 3, 2008.

1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I am thinking of purchasing a Mantis mini tiller for my small home garden. This unit currently comes with a free edger attachment, which I am considering using in my lawn biz. Does anyone here use the Mantis edger attachment for their regular mowing accounts? Is it an effective edger or not so much? Will it hold up to the rigors of commercial use? I know that these little machines are tough, but how tough?? Thanks!

2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

i have 180 beds and we do two rotations each year. we use mantis tillers in the flower beds with no problems. I have never used the edger attachment, but i don't think it will work to create a new edge, it might do ok to maintain an edged drive way. but it definitely won't be a quick as a stick edger. As far a two stroke tiller go, they are the best, IMO

3. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

we use the tiller part for beds too also use the edger part for new overgrown sidewalks and driveways creates a nice clean edge
    for new beds I have a big bed edger for that

4. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

I would get an edger for edging and use the tiller for what it was designed for.

5. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

Is the four-stroke any better than the two-stroke?

6. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

oh yea !!!! the 2 stroke I had to tear the carb apart and clean everytime I used it the 4 stroke is awesome

7. huntemup

huntemup LawnSite Member

I agree,we have one,it works great in the beds but no luck edging.

8. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Every landscaper should own a Honda engine Mantis. It's a great piece of equipment and needed for good soil prep. As far as the edger, never once have I used it.

9. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

we have 5 2 stroke manti. we use them hard for about a month, hang em up in the rack, 5 months later dust em off, use em hard again....they never miss a beat...

10. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree. The mantis is built to be LIGHT. 2 strokes shave off some weight. Take the baffles out of the muffler and lean it up for more power.