mantis mini tiller

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by luke125, May 27, 2004.

1. luke125

luke125 LawnSite Member

hey guys, right now i am looking into some mini tillers and the mantis tiller showed up i was wondering if any of you have used it and how its preformance was

questions
    what do they use as a 2cycle engine and how big is it?
    how big is their 4cycle engine?
    would it be wise to spend more money and go w/ the 4cycle engine?

please tell me what you know about the tiller because i don't want to waste a lot of money on a piece of junk

2. all degree

all degree LawnSite Senior Member

I have used it and its great for really small jobs. Honda makes a 4 cycle that is not much bigger and around $350. That is what I have now. When I say it is not much bigger I mean from a weight standpoint but it does have a wider sweep and is more powerful Dont expect to do a whole yard with either but good for the beds and any section less than 200sq ft

3. luke125

luke125 LawnSite Member

all degree will it give you any trouble with real hard gound

4. all degree

all degree LawnSite Senior Member

I cant speak for the mantis but the honda will do well when there is not a lot of roots and things. For the big jobs I have a trop built 10hp that will prob tear up concrete. I use the honda much more. Home depot sells them. If you are looking for light duty this is the one. I think its 4hp?? so its got some kick.

5. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

I have had mine for a long time and just used it in the garden today. I even thought about taking pictures and then I take a break and see this thread. LOL I don't know about the new ones but my old one still runs great after twenty years. I have had to replace the tines and the fuel tank, other than normal maintenance thats all I have ever had to do to it in all these years. Of course hard ground might give you some problems it just depends on how hard you mean. You have to keep it in perspective ....it's not a stone crusher. LOL In normal to some what hard soil these things work great and if mine ever quits on me I can assure you I'll run right out and get a new one. Really I can't imagine doing small flower beds with out one. There great for weeding the garden too. Hope that helps. :)

Oh yes I almost forgot they work best when pulled backward.

I say get your self one you will wonder how you ever got a long with out it.
    Stihl makes a nice looking one as well.

6. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

I use the mantis 2 cycle tiller and I love it. It works fantastic for flower beds but is NOT a replacement for a larger rear tine tiller. Each tool has it use.

The Mantis is powered by an 21.2 cc 2-cycle ECHO engine. Its tines spin at up to 240rpm. It has .9 hp. The Honda mini-tiller is 1.5 hp. I do not like Honda's tines nearly as much. having used bother -- I think the mantis is 100% better. It's all in the design.

Mantis makes a four cycle -- but I like the two cycle. I often have the Mantis almost on it side when digging out tree holes or tilling around shrubs. I would be afraid of damage witha four cycle engine.

I'm not sure what Honda tiller

7. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've used them quite a bit. they are great for working between plants. If the ground is very hard they will bounce around. they will also bounce if you hit a big rock. The bouncing is normal for any tiller, but manified with the mantis cause it is so light, and cause the tines spin so fast. If the ground is reasonable soft they till beautifully.

The tines spin like it is driving itself, in other words the machine pulls away from your body. When you want to till the ground up pull against the machine which causes the tines to spin and chew up the ground.

8. themowerman

themowerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

RedMax has one that looks like the mantis. It works pretty good to upkeep an established garden.

9. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Get the mantis, they are the best. I have had mine for 5 years and it runs great. Love it to death. The secret to the mantis tillers is the design of the tines. Has saved me a lot of time. They make a bunch of attachments for it.

I rather use it than my troybuilt horse tiller. If the job is really big, I get out the tractor mounted tiller I have. Nothing stops the kubota and the 48" tiller, except a big tree root.

That little mantis has enough power to throw 3" by 4" by 6" inch rocks at you all day long.

10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have used a friends before, not bad of a machine