Mantis or BlueBird for de-thatching my own lawn?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by yungman, Mar 29, 2008.

1. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

I just order a Mantis Honda with de-thatch and aerator tines. I still have not recieved yet. I was looking at the BlueBird de-thatcher and they have the smallest one for $889 free shipping in Alamia. I spent $620 on the Mantis. Am I doing the right thing.

My main thing is to de-thatch and aerate my own lawn only. The advantage of Mantis is I can do both and I can use it to get rid of the weeds along the scrubs. BlueBird is a single purpose only which I am going to use ones or twice a year and it is very big. The price is 30% more but I would imagine the BlueBird can do a much better job.

Do you think I made the right decision going with the Mantis?

Thanks

2. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

Is that a double post?

3. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

How many beers did you have today? :drinkup:

4. yungman

from Calif.

Just want to cover all bases.

Too many people giving you smack on having 2 BP so you have to come to the home owner section to hide!!:laughing::laughing::laughing:

My Mantis is going to arrive on Monday, I am excited about it. Also nurvous about making a mistake.
    :waving:

5. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

The Mantis tiller with the dethatching tines is an excellent tool, but it is a lot of work. If you have a large property, the Mantis will take a while and you will think twice about doing it again. If you have a reasonable sized patch of lawn, you can control the Mantis and do a great job.

I'm curious as to why you have to own a machine to dethatch your own lawn. Are you doing this on a regular basis? If you are mowing properly, and watering correctly and not over fertilizing, you should not have a regular problem with thatch building up. If you intend to use the Mantis to prepare the turf for seeding with the dethatching tines, it work very well for that as well. Regular aerating is a very good thing in many soils and most areas.

Kirk

6. yungman

from Calif.

Thanks for you info. I use this excuse to my wife to buy toys!!!! I have about 3000sqft of lawn now, it in the future I do my back yard, maybe up to 6000sqft. So it is not very big. I don't think I over fertilize, in fact I only fertilized ones few months ago. I have people put in the grass two years ago, seemed like they put really cheap grass. The lawn care people were taking care of it until 8 months ago when I took over. It was getting yellow even when they were taking care of the lawn. The grass was so bad that even got yellow when temperature went below 40 deg F. I do water often because it was turning yellow.

That is good to know that it work good for dethatching. Does the slit aerator tine do a reasonable job? I heard people claimed that slit tine do not work.

I really don't want to consider the Bluebird unless I have to. It is a single purpose equipment that only be used ones or twice a year. I don't want to rent because I don't have a truck and the time it takes to get the equipment home and return would equal to the time of de-thatching with the Mantis.

Thanks

7. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Actually slit aerators and spike aerators can compact certain soils, so a plug aerator is the best way to go.

Kirk

8. yungman

from Calif.

I forgot to ask, how long have you been using the dethatch tines, are they durableenough that it will last a long time?

THanks