Mantis or Honda

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Upstate Mike, Feb 27, 2002.

1. Upstate Mike

Upstate Mike LawnSite Member

I am buying a mini tiller and want to know what one is better.I am looking at the Mantis and the Honda.The mantis comes with a free edger and I need an edger.The Honda is the same price and I like Honda products but it dosnt come with the edger.

2. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

I have a mantis and like it a lot. A guy that worked for me said that he used a honda of the same equal engine cc's and felt they were both pretty much the same. The thing I like about the mantis is you get a really good video and manual with it and i have used the edger attachment a lot. Hope this helps. TH

3. keifer

keifer LawnSite Senior Member

I would pick the mantis I have used both. they each have good motors and gears but the mantis has one of a kind tines that i think dig better than any other plus have a life time replacement.

4. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the Echo version of the Mantis and like it a lot. Its tines are unique and they do a great job of tilling soil. I also have the dethatcher attachment for it and that works really well too.

5. The Mantis will till in much faster. The tines turn at a faster rpm than the Honda and had more powers.

But the honda take reg gas.

Your choice.

6. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

I have never used a honda myself. I actually purchased my mantis for cutting beds prior to mulching. I remove one set of tines, place free edger wheel in its place, and pull machine around bed edges 2 X's. First pass- I till, second pass, angle machine to throw soil into bed. Then any additional loose soil can be blown into bed w/ the Redmax 7000.
    I have used the tiller many more times than I'd imagine and this little machine really rips stuff up.:D

Bob

7. Upstate Mike

Sounds like the Mantis is the one to get.Thanks for all the help.

8. carlsmower

carlsmower LawnSite Member

Do you like the Honda engine?? Then you may want to check out the latest Mantis it uses a Honda 4 stroke. I have one on my showroom floor it lists out for $389 is on sale right not for $349. As far as the edger, it is included with both the 2 and 4 stroke model, from my experience it is only good for putting in an edge. It does not do to well at maintaining an edge, it is better when it takes out a bit of sod. Hope this helps!
    Josh

9. Upstate Mike

Does thatMantis tiller work as good with the Honda 4 stroke? I would think the two stroke would have more power.Is this the Carls Mower in Upstate NY?

10. Upstate Mike

I think I am going to get the Mantis with the Honda 4 stroke motor.Does the 4 stroke have enough power compared to the 2 stroke?