Mantis or Stihl??? Mini-tillers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by drsogr, Oct 10, 2004.

1. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

I am looking for a mini-tiller. I have heard that Mantis and Stihl both make good ones. My question is, who is better? My dealer carries the Stihl one, so I know I could get parts for it. Is their someone better than Mantis or Stihl. I am looking to use it for bed maintance and using it for places where the tractor can't get to when doing sod jobs. Any help would be appreciated!

geogunn likes this.
  2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I think Echo cost less. We have had one for several years and it has not had any problem. We only use it for commericial flower beds. It is almost the same as Mantis

3. drsogr

My dealer also carries Echo. I heard that they carried a better warranty..is that true?

4. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I got a mantis and love mine. Mine takes a beating. Like every other product little wonder makes, it will run circles around anything else.

5. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

A Mantis w/ a 4-stroke Honda can't be beat.

6. drsogr

How much do they cost?

7. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: i own 2 stihls and i think the were $360 each i use them for scratching up bare spots on lawns, works awesome. tony

8. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I got a Matis in the spring and love it.

9. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

The Mantis 2-stroke is $284. The 4-stroke is $345 at Power Equipment Warehouse. www.power41.com

10. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

How often are you planning on using it?

I'm asking because I was in the market to buy a mini cultivator last spring. After comparing all the $$ and options, I went with a Stihl KM85 (Kombi split shaft system) I purchased the cultivator attachment and now only have one power head to maintain which I can use for trimming and edging as well.

If you need a more dedicated machine and do a lot of cultivating in small areas, I'd say that a specific mini cultivator would be best. However, if you only plan on using it occasionally, consider the Kombi.

Anything Stihl......you CANT go wrong!!!

Brian