Mantis tiller de-thatcher

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nobagger, Apr 14, 2008.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I just won one of these things on ebay. Do they work?

2. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

I have used the Honda tiller (similar to Mantis) with the dethatcher and it work well for me on small yards.

3. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

Kinda funny to ask after you bought it :dizzy:

4. nobagger

from Pa

Hey Ryan, Hows the Gravely's holding up? So far so good with mine. They finally came out with a aftermarket mulching blade, they run around 12 bucks each compared to the 35.00 ones. I ordered a set weeks ago and as usual it seems they are taking forever with parts still.

5. nobagger

from Pa

Well I had a small clue but I couldnt beat the price!

6. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

Funny you ask, I just bought the Mantis Honda with dethatcher. I just dethatch my lawn. It work well for me. I don't dare to say it is very good because I have no comparison. It really get the job done, I fill up a 40 gallon can and have to use another one for a 3000sqft lawn!!!! Took me 3 hours to did it twice.

It seem to be of good quality. A little lack of power. I think this is better than the Honda FG110 because the gear ratio is 42:1 vs Honda 35:1. You do have a little more torque with the Mantis. You need it. That is the reason I choose the Mantis over the Honda FG110. I don't think the FG110 will have as much torque. I am happy, I did the oil change already!! Now I will be doing some cultivation in the next day or so.:waving:

7. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

I really like them a lot, I haven't had any major problems.

Do you have any good online stores you order blades from? I try to visit my dealer the least that I can get way with.

8. nobagger

from Pa

No I just go to where I bought it from. I tried a few on-line stores last year but no one had any aftermarket anything for his machine. This year will be a true test.....EMPLOYEE'S,lol.