Mantis tiller worth it "DEAL OR NO DEAL"

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bigw, Feb 4, 2008.

1. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

I am considering getting a mantis tiller for tilling existing beds and just some gardening at the house,are these any good or would i be better off buying a bigger tiller?Mantis is actually having a sale on these right now,if you buy it direct from the factory.
    You get a free edger blade {$44.95} free shipping,free kick stand which you pay extra for these things at any dealer and also a 100% money back guarantee for any reason if returned within 1 year. Anyone have one of these?

2. bigw

3. bigw

4. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I don't have one but others I know who do a lot of flower bed planting have them and love them for that purpose. Mantis is the best mini cultivator out there and there built to last. I haven't found the need for one at this time but if I ever do Mantis is the one I'm going to get. Check out www.alamia.com they sell them for a good price and offer free shipping.

5. Tom B.

Tom B. LawnSite Member

Tilling existing beds is made easy with a Mantis. I have one and use it for existing beds(on the smaller side) only. Anything else and you'll probably want a bigger tiller.

6. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

I've got one.
    It's the 2nd one I've owned in my life; the first one got crushed by accident.

They're definately worth it for tough-to-reach spots, but not so much (obviously) for larger areas.

One thing you really DON'T want to do is to leave any 'un-stabil-ized' gas sitting in the carb over the off-season, for 4 + months or more.
    If you do...you'll be throwing the carb away in the spring and be getting a new one...guaranteed.
    The carbs on the Mantis is it's only real Achilles' heel.

7. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

I have the sthil version and it works great

8. bigw

Well i pulled the trigger and actually just tried it for the first time and ill tell you what,that was the best 350$ i ever spent.That little sucker kicks some butt. My dealer said he has had one for 20 years and he loves his.
    :weightlifter:He also told me that mantis use's the ECHO 21cc engine from their weed wacker on their mantis rototiller.Anyway i think it will get plenty of use! Thanks for all the opinions.

9. bigw

Yes you are 100% right about the gas,my dealer said you should only use 89 octaine or higher and keep stable in it and he also said not to let the gas sit in it for more then 45 days without using it.He says the new emissions standards are really messing with the carbs.

10. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

My wife has one for her garden. I use it to turn mulch at some of my commercial properties. I think they work well.