Mantis Tiller

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Adam's Lawn and Garden, May 21, 2006.

1. Adam's Lawn and Garden

Adam's Lawn and Garden LawnSite Senior Member

I have heard alot about the mantis tiller. All good from what i saw. I just wanted to see what people think about it--good or bad---. Also, i am only 16 and wanted to use this for new bed installation at pretty big houses. Has anyone done this yet with one of these? Suggestions...

2. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Oh yeah! I LOVE the Mantis and so do a lot of people on here. I rented one last week and when I took it back, I ordered one and the single side hedge trimmer attachment. I was told yesterday that they now come with a kickstand standard and the border/edger attachment is still on promotion too.
    I ordered the 2 cycle engine (Echo) model.
  3. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

has 2 of them the 2 stroke fuel mix and the honda 4 stroke model both of them are great and gets used quite often
  4. mowerdave

mowerdave LawnSite Member

Yeah, I have one of them. It workd pretty good if the ground is not too hard, but I use my front tine tiller to break up the ground if I am installing new beds. The Mantis will just scratch the surface with packed down soil.
  5. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Love the mantis.Excellent for small beds, barespot repairs, hard spots the big tillers can’t gat etc. The powerful little devil takes a licking and keeps on ticking to lol.
  6. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Get one, they are awesome:clapping:
  7. Adam's Lawn and Garden

Adam's Lawn and Garden LawnSite Senior Member

Yea that's what i am thinking, there is a job i can use it on, so i think i will get it and put it on the 4 payment thing to work with my budget.

8. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

Great little tillers...I have yet to buy one myself though. I rent one every once in awile. The problem is, when the dirt is dry and compacted it won't do much at all. Put if its good soil with a little moisture content, it can't and won't be beat!
  9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Agreed it will just bounce off hard compacted soil and is not for large areas. Though it does come in handy for small areas with good soil.
  10. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

amazing little things! i love mine