Mantis Tiller

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by cp, Jul 18, 2001.

1. cp

cp LawnSite Senior Member

I'm looking for something to work my beds without me on my hands and knees. I was at my dealer and he has got this 20 lb Mantis tiller. Anybody got one of these things? I think this is what I'm looking for but not sure.....

Let me know what you guys/gals are using and how you keep your mulch beds looking fresh.

Thanks...Chris..

2. Nick

Nick Banned

I have two troy built tillers and they are great machines. Those mantis machines are for homeowners and will be a lot of work to till with when breaking throug sod.

3. cp

Sorry about the wrong post.

I have a tiller, it's too big for the beds.

4. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

I have a bigger one for landscape beds, and bought a tiny one for the areas between my beds in my yard. 33cc, I think MTD is the mfg. They're essentially a weed wacker with a tiller head. If it's light, occasional stuff you're using it for, something like that (in the $150-200 range) will do fine. I have to apply pressure with my foot to get mine to really till, because they are just too light to really dig in.

If you want a more serious, but tiny machine, get a Honda 4-stroke. About $300.

5. I use a cheapy Riobi(spelling) tiller for what your asking about. spent about $120. I use it every blue moon. Got it at Home Depot. Didn't want to spend $200 plus on a machine that I use maybe 2 or 3 times a year.
    John

6. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I have a Mantis, one of the best machines i own. First one we have had for over 20 years, went in the shop for the first time this year for a bad gastank gasket. Not bad. We use these hard and I really like them. First off, it is not a replacement for a real tiller, but it is a great weeder for gardens and the like. If you get one, you will not be sorry. As for the Home Depot ones, steer clear if you are going to use it much, tried one and i went down right away, the Mantis just keeps going. Good Luck

7. SpringValley

SpringValley LawnSite Member

We have a Mantis and we love it. If the ground is fairly soft it will turn it to powder. Great machine for its intended use which is cultivating. IF trying to establish a new bed and you don't have your big tiller with you, turn it with a shovel first and the Mantis will work great. Good Luck.

Matt:p

8. cp

Thanks for the good reviews, I was hoping someone had used a Mantis because the more I looked at them the more I wanted one. It really seems to be the right tool for the job I need done.

Take care..Chris...

9. CMerLand

CMerLand LawnSite Senior Member

Had one that a client gave us several years ago and never really did anything with it cause I thought it was too small. Anyhow got into seasonal color beds more and after rebuilding the carb it works great. Tills down just enough to loose the soil without digging so deep that you start sinking into the bed.

Also just used it for a very small (200 sq ft) grading job. Kinda narrow for the bigger tiller so I thought Id give it a shot. Was perfect. Allowed us to cut thru the top couple inches to allow for leveling of the soil without loosing the entire soil profile.