Mantis tiller

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Evan528, Mar 6, 2000.

1. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

i am intrested in buying a mantis tiller this spring for my small landscape jobs and wanted to no hoe they preform? do they hold up good? do they have the power needed to doing landscape work? they run about 300 dollars and seem like a great investment if they really are good machines.

2. mattingly

mattingly LawnSite Member

I don't own one personally but were I currently work we rented one for fall bed preparation. We used it to cultivate different perennial beds were we had divided out the perennials. Personally I was shocked at how well it worked. I have used a big ole troy built tiller before and thought this little thing would be a waste of time. To the contrary the little thing tore through drought conditioned clays. Of course it runs like a champ in previously cultivated beds but if you stick with it a little while it does fine in hard soil. Light weight, easy to operate. I give it two thumbs up.<p>----------<br>Integrated Landscape Solutions<br>Lexington, KY

3. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

It just so happens that I saw a man using one today to dethatch his St.Augustine grass. I was a little curious so I went over and took a look at it. He said he loves the thing and uses it for several different things. I watched him do a litlle more dethatching and left but if you have any doubts about the power, I wouldn't. I may look at one myself for the small areas. <p>Homer

4. Bill c

Bill c LawnSite Member

Evan I have one and it is great for flower beds.I picked mine up for 15 bucks at a garage sale.

5. jeffclc

jeffclc Guest

I have had one for about 7-8 years now. I love the little thing. I have found that it id the best tool for spot patching of lawns. It will loosen enough soil to prep a seed bed, but not enough to make a huge mess.<p>Don't bother with the attachments though, with the exception of the de-thatcher. The areator is a joke, and the edger is not all that great either. I think that the hedge clippers may be more trouble than they are worth.<p>I am considering the de-thatcher to compliment my Lesco, as the Lesco is tough to use on hillsides, and the Mantis is light.<p>The tiller is not a replacement for a 8Hp rear tine tiller. It is great on established soil, spot patching, ect. It will break sod, but that takes some time and effort. <p>They are well worth the money.<br>

6. jrblawncare

jrblawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Evan,I have had my mantis for about 5 years now,GREAT little tiller,lots of power for its size.Good for flowerbed prep.& for small places.You will not be able cut sod with as you would with a full size tiller,I highly recommend it for the small stuff.

7. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Evan, An A+++ piece of equipment! If you are serious about buying one stick with the real McCoy. A lot of knock-offs out there that just don't stand up to the test of time so spend the extra money and get the real thing. I had heard that they were coming out with a commercial version, but for the $300 and a lifetime guarantee on the tines (residential) what's there to lose? The attachments are great...everything from a seed slitter, to edger, to &quot;aerator&quot;, to dethatcher, and of course the tiller. Turns compact soil into beautiful loose workable soil. You can't go wrong with this piece of equipment.

8. Hello Everybody!<p>I've never heard anything but good about the Mantis & Echo tillers. They are very close to the same unit, engine is the same & gear box too!<p>If you are working in close quarters or just have very small areas to till, you can't go wrong with one of these tillers.<p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home: www.lawnservicing.com<br>My Start Up Page www.lawnservicing.com/startup/

9. ALS

ALS LawnSite Member

I have had my Mantis for 1 1/2 years. I use it primarily to turn mulch in beds. It has been a great time saver. I have not ever tried any of the attachments I have though they are just getting dusty. I would strongly recommend one for anyone doing bed maintenance work.<p>Ace Landscape Service<br>Delaware

10. PLS

PLS LawnSite Member

Mantis and Echo are one and the same. If it will save you any $$$ to buy Echo, Go for it.<br>If I remember correctly, Echo was making the engines for Mantis and they liked them so well, They bought the company. Or something like that.