Manual or Automatic Trans?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Mowman, Oct 26, 2001.

1. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

What trans are most of you using? Right now I have a manual in my S-10. Seems to work alright until it comes to backing the trailer up on a incline. Tends to STALL sometimes. I know operator ERROR right. I'm looking to UPGRADE trucks this fall and want to make the RIGHT choice this time as far as engine,trans, and gear ratio.
    What are the + and - of each in your IMHO? Also what gear ratio would you suggest to match the engine and trans combo. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mowman

2. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Manual is always better especially when you are hauling a trailer. You can downshift to save the brakes on extended downslopes. Also if you are good at shifting it will save you gas $$$. Manual is also easier to repair than an auto. I also just like driving a stick better than an auto.

3. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

I agree! But, I do alot of city driving and pushing that clutch in 600 times a day gets old. When I get in my Chevy its like siitin' in the easy chair.;)

4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have a 1 ton with a manual and a 3/4 ton with an automatic. Both are diesels. The standard is a pain to drive all day in city traffic while winding through residendial neighborhoods and making 20+ stops to do lawns. The manual is good for heavy lugging when hauling a trailer load of topsoil or a bobcat loader, But give me an automatic for day in day out service.
    I don't know what size truck you are looking at, but in the 3/4 and 1 ton sizes, a standard is NOT cheaper to repair or replace. I was a fleet maint mgr and equip. buyer up until 2 years ago and I can tell you from experience that an automatic is cheaper in the long run. You will need a clutch someday on a std., and they can easily run 800.00+ on this size truck. Also, it is almost always cheaper to put in a rebuilt auto trans than it is to rebuild or replace a std.trans. It seems like almost everyone believes the false assumption that stds. are cheaper to repair. This is not generally true with todays transmissions. :)

5. m&m

m&m LawnSite Member

i agree whole heartedly with mowing man.i ahve been there already.need i say more?

6. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

My V10 3/4 ton dodge with an auto trans. has been trouble free so far. - 85K. and it has had a 24' Van Trailer behind it for a lot of miles.