manual push lawn sweeper-good/bad?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowisme, Sep 1, 2007.

1. mowisme

mowisme LawnSite Senior Member

do those brush type lawn sweepers work? thinking on a couple of my lawns where leaf drop is not too heavy..it might work? easy to lift up over side of truck. any one use one? Gene

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Give it up. To much like work.

3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

use the mower with a bag. mower will shread them up too. A push sweeper would be actually slower than using a rake and tarp in the long run.

4. Americal Vet

Americal Vet LawnSite Senior Member

I've used those, and I've also used the sweeper type pulled behind a garden tractor. They work just fine if the underlying grass was cut before the first frost and the leaves start falling. If the grass is too long underneath the leaves they do not pick up as well.

After the push or tow sweeper is full you have to back up, and drop it where ever. Then they have to be gathered and loaded. I mean this will work, but as another poster said, if you can get the bagger for your mower it will hold more leaves and make it more convenient to remove from the property.

5. mowisme

mowisme LawnSite Senior Member

thanks for the input..I bought it for little to nothing so I'll just toss if it don't pan out. I had to grab it before it was gone (used one). Been raking onto tarp..but hip is giving me trouble so that way might not do it this year. I do have a 'Billy Goat' lot vacumm that I took casters off front and added wheels (8hp) so that might do it this year..and also have a Parker 6hp. Gene

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I have a tow behind sweeper and it works very well for getting pine needles up. I've never tried it on leaves since I have a Brinly tow behind vacuum system for that problem.